"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored this for free, guy took it to the dealer because it wouldnt cut straight (that says something right there), and they told him the bar and chain were no good and upsold him on a new ms251.

So I got this thing for free, $60 for a new bar and chain and I have a mint old top handle-ish saw

20160425_203508.jpg 20160425_203516.jpg 20160425_203550.jpg 20160425_203557.jpg

I visited the site 8 months ago to find out about a Husky chainsaw that I bought new in 1993, used for 15 minutes and put it on the shelf where it sat for the past 23 years. Its a 262xp and in "like new" condition. Its all original with the .058, 20", orange Husqvarna lettered bar. I have a need for a saw the size of the 262, but have been looking for another one to use. I found this on CL for $150 and picked it up this afternoon. While I was on the phone with the seller he asked me if I would be interested in a 372 "motor". I wasn't sure exactly what he meant, but for $30 I said fine. Both appear to be in great condition. 20160429_160504.jpg 20160429_160607.jpg

Went into a local shop today just to look... Found this saw at the end that said "make offer" took it out side and couldn't get it to start... The employee just shrugged so I said "how bout $50 plus tax?" And he said sure. So here I sit, another saw richer and its a 261 with 24" .325" bar lol thinkni found out why it wouldn't start :)

IMG_20160505_161504.jpg IMG_20160505_155632.jpg

BGE541, I'm surprised that a saw/engine shop didn't investigate that first.

Around here the pawn shops are very leery of letting anyone remove the covers for fear of sabotage. I once very stupidly passed on a 272XP for $70.00 (clearance price, they'd already marked it down as low as they would go) because the AF & some of the parts around the carb were missing. I wondered if they bought it/made a loan with it like that, or if a "customer" somehow helped
themselves to the parts.

A couple months ago my cousin called and said he had something for me. He was at an auction and the auctioneer couldn't get an opening bid. He knew my cousin used to be in the tree business and yelled "Tom, you give me a buck for these two, sold, they are yours". So, he had to take them. Both have good compression, no spark on the C5. I've got a couple NovaII modules, so when I get a chance, I'll try to get it going. I also have a couple 24" and 36" bars so I may see what it looks like with a little more reach, Joe.

Yeah it's just a pawn shop they just want volume not the best mechanics lol the guy said " so since it doesn't run, you can return it" .... I thought that's alright with me :)

Yeah it's just a pawn shop they just want volume not the best mechanics lol the guy said " so since it doesn't run, you can return it" .... I thought that's alright with me :)

I thought it was at a saw or engine shop. I can believe that a pawn shop employee had idea what the problem was, probably never even looked.

Not sure that I qualify for sucking since I may have paid full price. :oops:
I finished a grinding job. The customer was a talkative older gentleman. We somehow went from race cars and baseball to chainsaws. He said he had an older Stihl he bought new in the late sixty's. Said he wanted it to go to the right person. He walked right to it in his garage. It turned out to be a pretty clean 031 AV with the original carrying case, new bar, several chains, a new box of files and newer plastic file handle and what seems to be the original grease gun. There is a scrench in there, probably newer. The manuals were in the bottom of the case under the saw... you can guess what they look like. Yep, preserved with decades of bar oil.

So he says it was running last time he used it. Not really sure when that was...
The saw comes home with me, the cost of being the "right guy" was a buck forty five.
You know how you reason with yourself when you want something you don't really need? Well, I'm telling myself 'you just did a 15 minute job for 85 bucks! That's like free money! The saw will only cost you $60!!!'

I only spent a few minutes cleaning the saw for the picture. I dumped out the gas. It smelled more like boat 2 cycle Stihl 031 AV 1.jpg oil than turpentine so maybe that's good. Still has bar oil in it. That's good, not leaking... Did not try to start it yet. I'm going to take it apart and check it out first. Maybe this weekend.

Went into a local shop today just to look... Found this saw at the end that said "make offer" took it out side and couldn't get it to start... The employee just shrugged so I said "how bout $50 plus tax?" And he said sure. So here I sit, another saw richer and its a 261 with 24" .325" bar lol think i found out why it wouldn't start :)

View attachment 501881 View attachment 501882

omg! good day for you! :)

Latest posts

Back