"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this qualify? I know it's just a rancher 455 but it was less than $50 or £40 in good working order (just the primer bulb was disconnected causing no fuel), time to mess around and mod this under powered strato...

View attachment 555061 View attachment 555062
NICE!! That definitely is a "you suck". 455 was my first "big saw" loved the sound/power compare to my old Craftsman. That saw cost me more money in the end though by starting my CAD.

NICE!! That definitely is a "you suck". 455 was my first "big saw" loved the sound/power compare to my old Craftsman. That saw cost me more money in the end though by starting my CAD.

So I have muffler modded it, removed the limiter caps and tuned it in about 10" wood atm. Sounds nice when it cleans up. A pig to tune out of wood as I am pretty sure the coil has a rev limiter so always sounds like it's 4 stroking? It doesn't seem in the same league as my overly modded 254xp but nicer to use with the spring Anti vibe, don't notice the extra weight either. Bit on the chunky side as it is a bigger saw to look at than my 038 mag I have... I think I will keep it and mess around with it. Might do some light transfer porting seeing as they look a doddle to get to. Not used to not being able to do a base gasket delete as never modded a clam shell saw before.

Yes, the are rev limited, also i remember something about tuning the stratos being harder or something?it is a bit chunky as you said and doesnt compare to the xp design, but it worked really well for me, but only had a craftsman to compare it to at the time.

In my experience, tuning a Strato is trickiest when the second butterfly is starting to open. I have to pay special attention to the transition hole in the carb body & the L adjustment screw. They also seem to change behavior big time based on engine temperature.

So I bought a box of dead saws a few years ago. One mort was an 024, not all there, scored top end missing muff, handle bar and the tank was cracked on the rear base.
So I pull it out and wonder if its worth taking a stab at, I did have a meteor piston for it. So I figure I can fix the tank, so make up a aluminum plate to go under the tank handle,,, as I am using a pop riveter to attach the plate the handle busts at the rear,,now fubar!! Set the saw aside,,for maybe later. I had been to my ma and pa repair shop B4 and no 024 parts.
Well I go there to get some husky parts and the guys said we have a dead 024, top end was beyond repair not worth fixing,, score for me $30!! So I now have a complete running 024 for about $50.DSCF1266.JPG
BBB

More Suckage,,
These were freebies. I just scrounged some parts, for the one on the right. Bought a used non decomp 066 cylinder and oem piston, runs great.
Am now working on the one on the left, have most of the parts, awaiting seals and muffler. 044 was in the middle pretty much junked it.
BBBold1.jpg new1.jpg

More Suckage,,
These were freebies. I just scrounged some parts, for the one on the right. Bought a used non decomp 066 cylinder and oem piston, runs great.
Am now working on the one on the left, have most of the parts, awaiting seals and muffler. 044 was in the middle pretty much junked it.
BBBView attachment 555504 View attachment 555505

You suckkkk

In my experience, tuning a Strato is trickiest when the second butterfly is starting to open. I have to pay special attention to the transition hole in the carb body & the L adjustment screw. They also seem to change behavior big time based on engine temperature.

as in get better or worse?
Adam

More Suckage,,
BBBView attachment 555504 View attachment 555505

this bar looks soo teeny weenie on a 660...

new1-jpg.555505

as in get better or worse?
Adam

If you set the mixture when the engine isn't hot enough, they suck when they get hot. If you set the mixture when they're fully hot, they tend to bog when they're cool. In my experience. To be fair, we don't have very many huskys in my neck of the woods. And the ones we do have are just rebadged Poulans.

I'll have a check this weekend in some wood over a half hour stint of cutting. Cheers. Never retuned a strato...

I think I can join this group with the purchase of this Stihl 026 Pro for $125 from a local pawn shop.

Have no idea why anyone would put a 24" .375" x 0.050" bar on a 50cc saw. The compression was only 130 psi, but the rest of the saw looked pretty nice. Cleaned it up today (and surprisingly clean under the covers), then pulled the muffler to see how the piston and cylinder looked. Pretty much thought that they would be heat scored from the use with the oversized bar, but they were bright and shinny.

I think I'll just order a new Meteor piston with Caber rings and find a short bar to replace the Sandvil E60 bar that it came with it. As it so happens I need a bar about that length for the 038 Magnum PHO i purchased a few weeks ago. all is good in chainsaw land.

Thought I'd add the 038 Magnum PHO I bought for $100 to the list as well.

Missing the air filter, clutch assembly, and chain brake components, and the kill switch didn't work. Got assistance with the kill switch issue and found the missing parts for about $50. Compression is 170 psi and fires up with a couple pulls. Looks like the 056 is going to see less use during this year's firewood season.

My turn finally;

Picked up this 064 for $100 which wouldn't start due a supposed coil issue. After cleaning the gunk out of the switch a bright blue spark appeared... Reset the carb and it fired on the 4th pull and ran on the 5th.

Very high comp, no crank play, clean P&C with machining still on piston, lines and filter in good cond etc. Has already done a firewood run and performed as an 064 should. Very happy.

Just wondering if an HD filter is going on it. The low pro flocked filter apparently did an excellent job with the intake spotless after two tanks cutting long dead, dry Australian hardwood (Jarrah) which typically produces lots of fines. Have been told that the HD filter lets through lots of fines in these conds. HD2 may be the answer. Hopefully others will chime in with their real world experience.

Cheers, Matt.
DSC_0014 (Large).JPG DSC_0011 (Large).JPG

Latest posts

Back