"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so my 1st post on here View attachment 560213 View attachment 560215 might as well suck. My neighbor gave me 2 mcculloch super pro 81's, a pro-matic 850, and another parts saw in a box (sp81), files, file guide, tooth gauge, roll of chain, riveting tool, 3 used 28ish inch bars, and one new windsor (sp?) canadian bar. said they all ran when he quit logging in early 80's. I started the 850 promatic today and it ran awesome until fuel line started leaking. Best of all it was all free !!!!!. Yep I suck. But the gift from him is why I came here to gain some wisdom
You suck bad!

ff941f2d9128ef1d77deecad200edb45.jpg

Got this gem off CL yesterday. $100 runs perfect just needed a chain. I don't know what y'all think but I feel it qualifies :) I'm pretty proud of it!

How did you come up with BlackCoffin?
Actually just created a thread on that haha, it's the name of my race truck I've been working on a few years...kind of took the name myself haha. Fits my adrenaline seeking pretty well.

There I was looking at a 660 Magnum that was used in a milling operation, and was frankly beat to poo. Wrong screws, stripped screws, and busted parts. Ridden hard and put away wet. Then I asked about a Husky PHO that was close by. It was a 181SE that had a full wrap handle, a broken cylinder cover, the chain break mount was machined off the clutch housing, but otherwise didn't look too beat up. He tried to start it and grenaded the plastic cord spool in the starter. Crap.... Pulled the top cover and saw the cylinder had a port for a decompression valve. Clearly it had a new jug installed sometime earlier and likely one from a 288. Asked him what he wanted for it. $100 was the response, and into the truck it went.

DSCN4845_zpslyiwjp36.jpg

DSCN4846_zpsskavhcfx.jpg

Follow up... Pulled the muffler to look at the piston skirt and cylinder wall and they both look very nice. Turning the fly wheel by hand makes me think the compression is low, so I will be ordering a Caber ring for it. Are there any 288 pistons available that use two piston rings?

Follow up... Pulled the muffler to look at the piston skirt and cylinder wall and they both look very nice. Turning the fly wheel by hand makes me think the compression is low, so I will be ordering a Caber ring for it. Are there any 288 pistons available that use two piston rings?
I have a thin ring that is low on compression like that but cuts like crazy
I wouldnt nessasarily change it unless its cutting guttlesly

IMG_20170307_174222_01.jpg
All i know is that it has gobs of compression and no one has tried starting for 20 years. The 24"ish bar and chain were in pretty good shape so NO I don't have buyers remorse for spending $40 sight unseen on a 103cc saw that is in questionable running condition.

View attachment 563473
All i know is that it has gobs of compression and no one has tried starting for 20 years. The 24"ish bar and chain were in pretty good shape so NO I don't have buyers remorse for spending $40 sight unseen on a 103cc saw that is in questionable running condition.

That's a super cool find and great deal

Back