"You Suck" Thread 2016--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
120$ for everything you see, drove 6 hours to bring it home! The 925 is very clean. The air filter is new, some of the chains are unused. Just needs a fuel line. The little one runs but wont take full throttle, likely a dirty carb.

Attachments

• tmp_26318-00g0g_2EpEWhfegWG_1200x900-1090980611.jpg
    tmp_26318-00g0g_2EpEWhfegWG_1200x900-1090980611.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 142
This past weekend, I was given this 084. Included were 2 spare chains, a gallon of bar oil and a litre of Stihl 2 stroke oil:

01_as_received.jpg

It is in nice shape overall, but there is a little impact damage on the plastic:

02_damaged_cover.jpg

It would only run a few seconds at a time. The dealer told the P.O. that it needed a carb, which is no longer available. Thanks to members here, I downloaded the appropriate technical information and received some diagnostic suggestions in another thread. I found the impulse line had popped off the barb fitting. I reattached the line, added some Seafoam to the tank, adjusted the mix and now it runs like a raped ape.

I did replace the tiny little scabbard with a full length one. And the seal around the gas cap was starting to crack. So I ordered them from my local Stihl dealer.

07_new_scabbard.jpg

Grand total repair bill after taxes: $10. That would be Canadian, so about US$7.50. Does that qualify for submission to this thread? :D

This past weekend, I was given this 084. Included were 2 spare chains, a gallon of bar oil and a litre of Stihl 2 stroke oil:

It is in nice shape overall, but there is a little impact damage on the plastic:

It would only run a few seconds at a time. The dealer told the P.O. that it needed a carb, which is no longer available. Thanks to members here, I downloaded the appropriate technical information and received some diagnostic suggestions in another thread. I found the impulse line had popped off the barb fitting. I reattached the line, added some Seafoam to the tank, adjusted the mix and now it runs like a raped ape.

I did replace the tiny little scabbard with a full length one. And the seal around the gas cap was starting to crack. So I ordered them from my local Stihl dealer.

Grand total repair bill after taxes: $10. That would be Canadian, so about US$7.50. Does that qualify for submission to this thread? :D

How do you live your life such that people give you $1000 saws for nothing?

How do you live your life such that people give you $1000 saws for nothing?
The previous owner was told that the saw was essentially beyond economical repair, so he didn't figure he was giving me a $1000 saw, just a basket case. I offered to give him the saw back when I found out how simple the fix was. His response was "You fixed it, you keep it. If I ever need a saw that big again, I know where it is and I'll ask to borrow it."

I also found out that not only did the dealer claim the carb was shot, but also that it had no compression when hot and therefore "needed a new engine". IMHO, the dealer didn't even look at it, just tried to sell him a new saw.

The previous owner was told that the saw was essentially beyond economical repair, so he didn't figure he was giving me a $1000 saw, just a basket case. I offered to give him the saw back when I found out how simple the fix was. His response was "You fixed it, you keep it. If I ever need a saw that big again, I know where it is and I'll ask to borrow it."

I also found out that not only did the dealer claim the carb was shot, but also that it had no compression when hot and therefore "needed a new engine". IMHO, the dealer didn't even look at it, just tried to sell him a new saw.

The dealer was probably hoping the previous owner would leave it there for them to keep. That's a crooked dealer. What stihl tech couldn't rebuild a carburetor anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dealer was probably hoping the previous owner would leave it there for them to keep. That's a crooked dealer. What stihl tech couldn't rebuild a carburetor anyway

I've heard some other things about that particular dealer. I don't know if it's endemic or just one bad apple in that particular barrel. And to be fair, my local dealer has been great in my experience, so this shouldn't be taken as a slag on all Stihl dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a 064,066 and a 084 from a guy who told me the dealer said they needed new pistons and cyl.
Every one of them had new looking pistons when i got them.Saws were filthy on the outside i don't think the dealer even looked at them.The guy had been a faller,then went to University.The saws were as he parked them in his shed sitting for 5 yrs.Dirty and old gas gets them scraped at his dealer.

My buddy and I picked up these 2 Snapper Pro 52" walk behind mowers for $900 each. Changed the oil, all filters and new belts. Didn't need the belts but figured while checking every thing out, why not. Blades were sharp, mow dead level, I'm a happy camper, Joe.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Not sure if this is suckage, u decide.
Picked up 2 saws in a box, everything there except maybe some bolts.
A 359 piston done, cylinder good. And a 570, looks like ring pin blew out on it. Looks like it's burnt threw a couple tanks gas at the most, everything else is mint on it, cylinder still good, small dings on head. 100 for both. Iam happy.

Epilogue:

I found a NOS air filter cover, still in the original packaging, for $50. No crack, but the colour is different! Much brighter even than the new Stihl scabbard:

09_new_cover.jpg

01_as_received.jpg

02_damaged_cover.jpg

07_new_scabbard.jpg

I give up u win :cry:

Does this qualify ?
$20. Haven't tried to start it, pulls over though.View attachment 575640[/
I got an 031 AV for $20. Put fresh mix in and it fired on the third pull. Had to tune the carb a bit but good investment for $20. I hope you get as lucky as I did. Good investment. If it's not a runner, the parts alone are worth more than 20.

Latest posts

Back