Young Oak Leaf Spots and Weak Growth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djollie111

Reaction score
I just purchased a house (San Antonio, TX), and there are 5 young oaks in the front yard. All are looking good, except this one (pictures below). I'm a novice, but just researching online, my hypothesis is spot anthracnose. Planning on cleaning up the dead twigs and removing diseased leaves.

May or may not be related: during my last mow, I found about a 12" diameter patch of hard dry fungus in the lawn near this tree. Removed it right away. Headed to get a fungicide to apply later this week. I'm sure the flooding here a couple weeks ago didn't help.

Am I on the right track here?

Also, how should I feed this tree to help with the defoliation?

View attachment 299685View attachment 299686View attachment 299687View attachment 299688

Leaf fungus is the least of your worries, your tree is just about toast. Can you post a pic of the stump area?

Don't have a good one yet - this is the only photo I have on me that shows the base, and it's about a month old. I'll take a couple pics close up this evening and post.

As little as I know about trees, the previous owner seems to have known less. No mulch, no pruning, etc. Like I said, the other 4 that are about the same size look pretty good. Need to cut back the grass and add mulch, but full, healthy foliage.

View attachment 299743

Back