Your favorite bar chain combo .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now n, so no one gets POed ...... I know different woods and cuttibg conditions requyire different chain ... .. Mi favorite combo was an Ace Morgan hot rodded 394 with a 36" Oregon Pro bar ( the shiny bar ) and semi skip 75CKX the Dura Pro chain in 3/8 nthat pulled a 404 size kerf ....And an 8 tooth sproket .....Chisel ground with my small motor Sim,imgton 451A .. 32 degree top 75 degree side with the nriders filo plated to 35 thou......... Bushlin in S.E. there was good money in snag stobs ..Hemlocks with a shell and a bunch of mush inside .. The semi skip Dura pro made a wide enough kerf the bar would slide in ther kerf easily , as easy as a bar could anyway .... ..A;so getting the root off red cedar blowdown or any bad buck ... NOT GETTING HUNG UP = MONEY and not getting hot amd bothered :censored::censored::censored:...I don,t think I was ever man enough to maximize that saw .. But I fave it a good run ....

Typed with new comtacts anmd no reading glasses .... can,t really see the letters of the key bpard and I never actually learned to type

ROFL...Im not 100% sure of everything you said, but I get the point. Agreed, different wood, different chain. I think maybe they messed up your perscription at the Dr. Office. LOL

Now n, so no one gets POed ...... I know different woods and cuttibg conditions requyire different chain ... .. Mi favorite combo was an Ace Morgan hot rodded 394 with a 36" Oregon Pro bar ( the shiny bar ) and semi skip 75CKX the Dura Pro chain in 3/8 nthat pulled a 404 size kerf ....And an 8 tooth sproket .....Chisel ground with my small motor Sim,imgton 451A .. 32 degree top 75 degree side with the nriders filo plated to 35 thou......... Bushlin in S.E. there was good money in snag stobs ..Hemlocks with a shell and a bunch of mush inside .. The semi skip Dura pro made a wide enough kerf the bar would slide in ther kerf easily , as easy as a bar could anyway .... ..A;so getting the root off red cedar blowdown or any bad buck ... NOT GETTING HUNG UP = MONEY and not getting hot amd bothered :censored::censored::censored:...I don,t think I was ever man enough to maximize that saw .. But I fave it a good run ....

Typed with new comtacts anmd no reading glasses .... can,t really see the letters of the key bpard and I never actually learned to type

Sounds like a good setup, I wish I could find a good Ace Morgan saw. :(

I never got into the full comp thing .. I,ve run 50 feet of so bushlin , but it never put more scale on the ground than 52AJ, which is Oregon full skip 404 chisel bit .... For Doug fir perhaps but in big timber how the bar floats in the cut is more important .. Full ship is smoother and it takes longer to get dull enough to change chains .. I like semi skip ... .. I,m running full skip 3/8 right now . full comp wouldn,t improve my cutting ... One thing I learned was even frozen hardwood (Birch ) at -35 degrees F . cuts just fine with full skip . As long as it,s sharp .. .

OK. I'll go back to my fallin days. 2100 Husky, 7 pin, 36" Windsor bar, 52AJ Orygun chain-Hand filed. I would like to run a 390, 394/395 just to see what they're like.

good thread...i'll bite:

390xp, ported, 32" bar, 7pin, .050 (because thats all i have, dont have the money to try 063, because if i like it then i'll have to change everything over...it credit card suicide for me:dizzy:), and stihl RSC hand filed out of the box.

70cc saw with a 28" light weight bar with full comp square. 90cc with a 32" lightweight bar with full comp square. The saws need to be ported of course.

Last edited:
A modded 385xp or a 390xp...and a 24" GB titanium bar 3/8" stihl rsk with my aggressive file job. Occasionally ill break out the 066/660 with 2' bar once in awhile for the really big trees 4'+...

Latest posts

Back