Your most enjoyable or memorable logging moment thus far is...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NH . Whats down , engine , 53 Detroit ?

Yep. 353N. Blower gears stripped out. Rotors bent. Put a reman blower on and moved machine 50' and blower gears stripped out again. Now I gotta find out why. May just get a used 353 and put it in so I can atleast move ot around. Skidder also needs brakes and cradle pins and other stuff that I cant think of at the moment. If I were to win the lottery the 353 would disappear and either a john deere or deutz would go in.

Happened today. Maybe not the most memorable moment, but the best compliment I've ever had.

My job this week is to cut the trees on the banks of a small pond, area is just about an acre. It's not an natural pond but an old gravel pit, which has been dug below the water table - now they want to fill it again in order to protect the groundwater supply. An environmentalist-strictly regulated-blah-blah project. Extra virgin quality bar oil required and so on.

Well, this morning an inspector of the state environment department showed up to present the job and to give instructions. Trees are small - 30 something years old - but the banks are quite steep and they are hanging nicely above the pond. The inspector wanted to know how am I going to keep the timber out of the water. Dropping them in is a big no-no.

I said to him that I have few tricks. In case they won't work, I have my old swimmer's diploma somewhere.

The inspector gave me a funny eye. I'm as dirty as anyone working in this business. He said. "No, you are most certainly not going to swim in there, okay? We don't want the water contaminated, do we?"

Yep. 353N. Blower gears stripped out. Rotors bent. Put a reman blower on and moved machine 50' and blower gears stripped out again. Now I gotta find out why. May just get a used 353 and put it in so I can atleast move ot around. Skidder also needs brakes and cradle pins and other stuff that I cant think of at the moment. If I were to win the lottery the 353 would disappear and either a john deere or deutz would go in.

I got a good running take out 353 from a tarmac gen set for 300$ last spring had a new starter on it . I think all I need is a variable speed govenor . Is yours turboed or just super charged ?

My most memorable moment on a side, was being cast out over the tree tops by the yarder. I felt like a worm on the end of a pole.

Highly illegal and dangerous. . . Also highly fun and about the biggest rush you can get.

I think I dented the skyline with my fingers though. :laugh:

I have always enjoyed logging and working outdoors. I grew up in the suburbs and never knew that you could ever make a living doing things like farming and logging. I thought college and a suit and tie where in my future and it scared the crap out of me. Anyone moment nope. Cashing large checks and actually making a good living at what I enjoy. It does not happen all that often but when it does it makes me feel ten feet tall

I got a good running take out 353 from a tarmac gen set for 300$ last spring had a new starter on it . I think all I need is a variable speed govenor . Is yours turboed or just super charged ?

No turbo on my engine.

Watching my uncle top a OG Fir, then walk out of his flip line. He hung upside down for a good 20 minutes before he righted himself. He also had the only climbing gear on site.

I don't know about MOST memorable but pretty cool just the same. Tonight I had just finished felling in a nice bunch of oaks (open, really pretty stand) and it was right at dusk dark, I shut the saw down sat on a big white oak log and was just plain enjoying myself when two big gobblers across the cliffs started in on "dueling gobbling" they went back and forth for probably ten minutes, to top it off two or three whippoorwills started chiming in. Made for quite the symphony.......I said to myself "Self, does it get any better than this?" There are very few things I would rather be doing than being in the woods.

Tom-

Back