Your thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinivanFan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Right now we are using our minivan for hauling wood and sometimes the transmission shutters while going uphill. i am afraid that if we keep using the voyager for towing that we will end up breaking the transmission. we are lucky that the transmission has held up as long as it has, i've heard of minivans with less miles then ours having gone through two transmissions. we have a 92 dodge ram 250 conversion van that hasn't been driven on the road for more then 5 years. it would need to have some work done before it would pass inspection but most of it is stuff that i think i could do myself. this would be a much better vehicle for hauling wood as it is built on a truck frame. i was wondering though, is it possible to upgrade a ram 250 to a 350 by replacing the springs with heavier duty ones and stuff like that? is there any differance between the frame for a 250 and a 350?

I would probably try to stop using the minivan for towing. You are right on about the transmissions in those not being the best. If the trans is shuttering, you are right on the edge, and possibly on the edge of braking capacity. The full size van would be much more suited to towing.

As far as upgrading to a 350, that is probably not possible. In the van/truck world there are "heavy 3/4" ton trucks and vans and "light" 3/4 ton. A 250 usually considered a 3/4 ton, but if it has 5 lug wheels, it is really more like a 1/2 ton truck. As you go up in weight capacity, the body may not change, but the frame, axles, and springs are all beefed up to carry the extra load. Heavier springs without heavier frame and axles doesn't really do you any good.

Here's a link to some towing capacity info. It isn't your year, but should give you some guidelines. It looks like you can safely tow a little over 4 tons with the full size van, just under two for a v-6 minivan, and only one ton with a 4cyl minivan.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/owners/guide/assets/pdf/1999-tow-ratings.pdf

I would be more worried about who gets killed or injured when the minivans brakes or suspension fails. Lots or cheap full size used pick ups out there or cash for clunker deals on new trucks..

I
As far as upgrading to a 350, that is probably not possible. In the van/truck world there are "heavy 3/4" ton trucks and vans and "light" 3/4 ton. A 250 usually considered a 3/4 ton, but if it has 5 lug wheels, it is really more like a 1/2 ton truck. As you go up in weight capacity, the body may not change, but the frame, axles, and springs are all beefed up to carry the extra load. Heavier springs without heavier frame and axles doesn't really do you any good.

QUOTE]

you are going to have to convince me there is a different frame under an F250 then a F350. As best as I can tell its the same chassis till you are into F550 range. (F150 is a different animal altogether)

I have no idea on the E series though.

Last edited:
I had a 96 Town and Country mini-van went thru 5 YES 5 transmissions.I scrapped it at 170,000 miles.It was never used to tow anything except my fat ***

If you haul wood in a van, or even a pickup, think about what happens in an accident where you come to a sudden stop. The wood will keep moving, possibly killing you, it has happened before. So, headache racks and screens are good.

We had a 2005 Town and country van and am sure glad we bought the extended warrenty. We got rid of it in 2007 and it had less than 50,000 miles on it and was on the 5 th transmission.

I

QUOTE]

you are going to have to convince me there is a different frame under an F250 then a F350. As best as I can tell its the same chassis till you are into F550 range. (F150 is a different animal altogether)

I have no idea on the E series though.

350 has bigger brakes as well. More important to me than weight capacity. If you get it rolling and can't stop it you are in trouble.

trere is no difference in the frame of a 3/4 ton and 1 ton ram van in that year, I had one for years and used it to pull my 24' enclosed race trailer weighing in a 8 thousand pounds. As far as brakes go if you are pulling a trailer over 5 thoudsand pounds without trailer brakes you are asking for trouble no matter what size truck you have.

I had the unfortuniate experience of running over the front end of a camreo that ran a stop sign in front of me about 10 years ago. I was pulling the enclosed trailer (empty) with my dad's 1 ton dodge ram things were ok until the wires for the trailer brakes got ripped of then it was a different story. I was instantly turned sideways (trailer still going streight) went over a foot tall curb the impact of the rear weels coming back down from the bump broke the rear axles off the truck. Talk about a sudden stop....

. As far as brakes go if you are pulling a trailer over 5 thoudsand pounds without trailer brakes you are asking for trouble no matter what size truck you have. .

i absolutely agree. I feel a million times safer pulling 5000# trailer with brakes behind a mid sized truck versus pulling 5000# trailer without brakes behind a 1ton.....just because you truck bigger does not change what is hitched behind it....the vehicles brakes are designed to stop the vehcicle and the vechile ONLY. In my honest opinion i don't care what size the trailer is, it should have brakes. no if, ands or buts.

QUOTE]

I have no idea on the E series though.[/QUOTE]

Run an F250 and an identical F350 single wheel truck scross the scales. There's a huge difference. We had this argument at work last year and that's how it was settled...at the scales. Not to mention that the 350 costs $5k more than the 250 for some reason.

i absolutely agree. I feel a million times safer pulling 5000# trailer with brakes behind a mid sized truck versus pulling 5000# trailer without brakes behind a 1ton...

wow I have heard it all now, I dont start using the trailer brakes on my goosneck until I put more then about 5k on it and the trailer weighs 6000 on its own and I never have a problem with my dually

I love caravans so much, this is what I do with them:
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/adbJeNWXmoU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/adbJeNWXmoU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Basically if you use something which is designed for light "homeowner" duty for heavy duty work, it will not hold up very long.

That goes for everything... Notice the kind of door locks they have on schools and businesses (heavy use), they are "commercial grade" and cost about $200 each, but they hold up to the heavy use.

Or the vacuum cleaners they use at hotels and businesses. They say "commercial" on them.

And the lawnmowers professional yard service companies use do not say "Sears" on them!

Same thing with vehicles. I get worried hauling just 6 bags of concrete in my little subcompact hatchback car - let alone just one additional passenger or a load of groceries - it has trouble getting up hills with ANY extra load!

But no problem hauling a full yard of gravel with my 3/4 ton pick-up! I wouldn't even notice the load was in the truck if I did not look! Pretty much drives the same as when it is not loaded.

And there is a BIG difference between a 1/2 ton pickup and a 3/4 ton pick-up. Just a half yard of gravel in a 1/2 ton and it drives like it is overloaded.

(Trucks have a label on the door usually which says how much weight they are rated to carry...)

I'd keep the van as a daily driver and sell that old van. Go find a cheap old pickup. It doesn't have to be pretty to haul fire wood!

Back