Your worst chainsaw injury

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My worst injury happened about two years ago. I cut about a 12 inch soft Maple with my husky 346. I stepped back to watch it fall. When I did a stick stabbed me through the pants. I tripped and the saw fell against my leg. I got a seven inch long by two inch wide gash. Thankfully the saw was not at full throttle. It was returning from full throttle when it got me. It was quick too. I went home and taped it up and went back to work. Proof that a saw don't have to be big to rip you up. That gash looked like shredded hamburger.

I was slashing through some saplings in thick brush and got caught up in some kudzu vine. Similar to above, I wasn't cutting but the chain hadn't stopped yet and cut my left thigh. Bunch of stitches later, I ordered some chainsaw safety pants. (wore those out and am now using full wrap Labonvilles). It didn't cut any meat, just the skin thankfully.

Mine was relatively minor compared to those. I cut my thumb on a cutter after I tried to pull the chain around the bar, forgot to disengage the brake.

Ive been very blessed so far but my father had his old 028 (no chain brake) kick back and hit him in the face cutting some black walnut. 36 stitches and 2 surgeries later he now uses a husqvarna 460

No blood for me, but I had a branch hit me in the head. Mother nature caused a hang up near my horse fence, thought I could take a few cuts and free it up, when it moved, a branch the size of a baseball bat, with length of 4-5 feet, fell from the top and hit me in the head. Had a Labonville plastic helmet on, but it still conked me pretty good. Had my wife watch me for a concussion.

I was working on a timber stand improvement crop tree release on the job. Got right in the middle of a large jack-strawed mess and needed to get a few more Virginia pines cut to open it up for some planted white pine. I cut one but didn't have a good escape route and tripped backwards over a small stump and landed under about 30 trees 4-5" DBH luckily they were suspended over me, but I had to get my buddy to cut me out because my right leg of my chaps was hung and I couldn't get up. It was funny afterwards, scary as hell when it was happening. No injury except my pride. Very close call.

image.jpg In 32 years of making a living in the bush I've only had 8 lost time injuries, but only cut myself twice with a saw.
But do wear a hard hat please. The first responders took the tree to the tree surgeon first I heard! Lol
Johnimage.jpg

Never seriously cut but once limbing with 346 I stepped up into the saw and it caught my barlow pocket knife and kicked the saw up. cut pants and took a chunk out of knife blade but never touched skin.

I have been very lucky too. I cut in the winter and mostly dig under the snow for downed trees. I was really pooped after doing this for two trees. Thought I'd rest the saw on my left thigh, I felt something plucking on my snowsuit. Looked down and the suit was shredded. Never again. I didn't cut until I had my first pair of chaps. It only takes once and happens so phrackin' fast.

My old neighbor had an 066 kick back. He has a nasty scar on his face but just missed his jugular vein! I feel don't think you ever got a saw mastered. If you do you may meet the maker. Never loose respect of what a saw can do. He was experienced cutter of over 20 years

Back