Yup, more boot ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen pics of the spring heel, but I prefer a block. I ordered custom boots from Viberg maybe 12 yrs ago. I'm more than happy with them. When I get home I'll treat myself to a new pair just to have on hand.

Ok, thanks. I am looking at some caulks also. Not sure what I want or if I really need them for firewood cutting around the farm. The traction they provide might be my only need.

Unless you're walkin' spars and over timber, then they won't be of any use. They provide great gip on logs, but suck in the mud and whatnot...

Gary

I used to wear block heels but i got spring on my last pair and am happy.

I have seen the bottom of my left foot too many times and the lower spring heel helps prevent that mess.

Whites smoke jumpers that where sent back and converted to a spring heel cork.

I have been wearing White's since 1987 and own several pair. I bought most of them used on ebay and have had them rebuilt. I was very unhappy with bith pair of Wesco boots.

My son and I both wear White's and since I have the day off I cleaned both pair and they are on the Peet dryers.

I think the Whites were the most comfortable boot. I've had many pairs of boots, it has always been hard to find THE boot. But White's got soaking wet too easily, and yes, I probably tried that kind of boot grease. So, I'll stick with the spendy ones from here on. Not as comfy, but all around better for me. And the latter is important. We all have different feet so like different boots. You are embarking on the quest to find the perfect boot and it is not an easy quest. You must be brave. Go forth and try them on!:bowdown:

I used to wear block heels but i got spring on my last pair and am happy.

I have seen the bottom of my left foot too many times and the lower spring heel helps prevent that mess.

Thurs. I was wearing my block heel Hofffman calks, I was limbing down in the tops on steep ground in a light rain and I definately rolled the crap out of my left ankle. So it'll be weak for a few more days, workable, but got to be easy on it. I hate rolling the ankle. So when you said "seen the bottom of my left foot" I know exactly what you meant! I spent a few hours working on a slate roof at my house yesterday evening, came down and could barely walk due to the ankle pain.

I got the Hoffmans to see how a slightly lower $ boot (and replacemant calks)would do. Great soles, but the leather tops just ain't the leather of my Wescos. I got block heel cause I'd always worn it, but probably not next time.

I think the Whites were the most comfortable boot. I've had many pairs of boots, it has always been hard to find THE boot. But White's got soaking wet too easily, and yes, I probably tried that kind of boot grease. So, I'll stick with the spendy ones from here on. Not as comfy, but all around better for me. And the latter is important. We all have different feet so like different boots. You are embarking on the quest to find the perfect boot and it is not an easy quest. You must be brave. Go forth and try them on!:bowdown:

I WISH I had problems with wet weather! We are looking at water rationing again.

leaning hard towards the Danner Trooper's, my current all around boots are the Danner Quarry and they are like slippers... so comfy! (have had some stitching problem with them though, nothing major just used.) my current calks Not so much!
gotta say looking @ pics of the White's nothing catches my eye. Like the Wesco but they can keep their exclusive calks.

Wesco is a great boot. Thats what I have and will use. When you buy them you can usually score a second set of replacements for little or nothing. Then when you have them worn out and the boots are getting just a tad sloppy, have them tightend up and resoled to a standard replaceable cork sole. It was spendy but worth it for me. I just turned my second pair of Wesco climbers to corks. Kept the block heel cause thats what I'm used to. Now I have the best of both worlds. This is the third rebuilding of these boots. The second had the soles repleced to replaceable recepticles and had the cobbler add doubble steel and double leather shanks and slips in them for me to get a bit more extra while climbing. I have a pair in getting worked on right now.

I have tried Hoffman and a couple of the other so called cheapie brands and keep going back to my Wescos. I thought about Whites once until I saw what they wanted for them at the time, then I just had mine rebuilt for way less that half the Whites price.

What ever you get grease good to start and remember to check the peg tightness every day after your done for a couple weeks. Don't cinch them down just snug. As you wear them they will loosen and break in also. If you don't do this you run a greater risk of rolling a peg out of the socket. I still check mine evry time they get a good slobbering of grease.

Owl

I remember some time back my first pair of red dawgs (and their not bad) but it didn't take me couple hours and half the calks were gone... Like what in helen did I do. messed up threads, little bit of jb weld back in biz but bummed. Then got contacted from Bailey's saying that the boots were recalled. Swap 4 a new pair and good 2 go.

Unless you're walkin' spars and over timber, then they won't be of any use. They provide great gip on logs, but suck in the mud and whatnot...

Gary

Most of my walking will be over dead timber, icey ground and in general over grown woods.

Most of my walking will be over dead timber, icey ground and in general over grown woods.

can't b beat in the ice... real nice 2 have on if u have 2 chain up ur rig after u make it so far and sitting in the middle of ice. Coarse I always see how far I can go b4 I drag out the darn chains!

If ur gonna use them mostly in the cold I do suggest Pac or insulated tho.

Usually spring is our icey time here. Real pain to stand in the woods. I am taking a shine to 16" hoffmans.

I normally wear 12-14" tall boots. Just got in the habit of wearing tall ones. Helps my ankles, atleast I think maybe not??

I'm comfy in 10" - 12" kinda view any taller 4 snakes or climbing. Years ago I had some 16" Red Wings I used 4 climbing... great 4 the gaffs but other than standing on the spikes I hated 2 move in them, & way 2 hot on a warm day. Wore them a few times then gave them away and never tried that tall again. My winter pacs r 14" and they seem 2 b fine, but the snow does tend 2 get a little deep.

Back