Zigzag attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheffa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
just got myself a new zigzag, just wondering if everyone uses spliced ropes to attach to the unit or if some people are still tying in to the device. Our powerlines clearance rules state we must used a splice rope on mechanical device so the working end cannot slip through. For private work and smaller climbs I'm thinking of just tying in with my shorter lines with a double bowline as I have been doing using a French Prussic setup.

I have never used a spliced line on my zigzag. I run it with 1/2" safety blue (16 strand) . I simply tie and anchor hitch and back it up with a figure 8 or stopper knot. The only thing you have to worry about is the knot ( any knot for that matter ) hitting the top link and cashing a creeping descent , however that is only true when you have a very tight bend radius in the rope, otherwise it wouldn't interfere. Or simply orient the knot away from the links. I guess you could also tie an alpine butterfly and clip it in but I'm not sure how safe that is lol.

Anyway, I like my anchor hitch, but s spliced line would be better. ( funny thing is I have 150' of tachyon with a a spliced end that i refuse to use for ddrt lol

Spliced eye for me everytime, keeps everything slim and nothing to interfere with the scissor system, I use a rope guide too so need a retrieval ball on there any way

Why refuse to use tachyon for ddrt?
It's lighter and less stretchy than 16 strand and the splice is perfect for your zigzag.
Ive got a hank of sterling tendril which is essentially tachyon and it's an excellent ddrt rope, the nylon core makes it too bouncy/stretchy for an srt line, imo.

I feel like t wouldn't hold up well compared to my 16 strand. Plus I use the tachyon for srt and have grown to really like it. However it is a little stretchy.

Everyone I know uses eye spliced ropes. Pretty sure the instructions say to only use them as well, just like a Hitchclimber. No reason you can't use a loop termination knot like a double bowline as long as the knot is above the links so it will not interfere. Just you are not going to be able to get as close to your tie in. I use Tachyon for both ddrt and srt, one coworker uses it in a zigzag. My preferred climb line, less stretchy and firmer than Yale xtc24.

just got myself a new zigzag, just wondering if everyone uses spliced ropes to attach to the unit or if some people are still tying in to the device. Our powerlines clearance rules state we must used a splice rope on mechanical device so the working end cannot slip through. For private work and smaller climbs I'm thinking of just tying in with my shorter lines with a double bowline as I have been doing using a French Prussic setup.
By the working end you are referring to the tail? In that case you will need to have the device put on before splicing, as it is not mid-line attachable.

Back