A few months back I picked up an old Lickity Split Log Splitter. The chasis is made up of a of angle iron and a wood deck. The angle is cracked where the axle goes through on both sides, and the wood deck is a little less than atractive. I have some heavier gauge angle and plan on making a new frame. Instead of using some 2X10 and painting it yellow for a new deck I decided to use some of the White Birch I milled up. Since I have plenty of angle I plan on extending the deck 10 or 12 inches to mount a battery for the new engine. The old engine was an eight hp Kohler pull start. The new engine is a 12 hp Kohler electric start off an old Cub Cadet. Since the Cub has a full electrical system I'm going to scavange the wiring and head lights and make a fold down light bar mounted to the back, for those early fall evenings. Here's a couple pics of the Birch and machine.
The White Birch right after I milled it.
I think several coats of Spar Urathane will look better than the old yellow deck. To cut the board I clamped a straight edge to the plank and ran my circular saw down the edges. Then I ran the board through the planer till I had all of the chatter marks cleaned up.
Last is a pic of the old Lickity. Once every thing is all media blasted, painted, and put back together I think that Birch deck will be right slick, Joe.