Please explain the diff between husky 268, 272, and 272xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Are they all the same top end? what are the differences between them.

61-48mm piston
66/266/268-50mm piston
272-52mm piston

They all have the same stroke and all fit the same case. The transfer ports are different in the some of the cylinders. Some of the 266's have open transfers. The 268and the 272 have closed ports.

The top cover screw holes (in the case) for the 61 do not match the screw holes for a 268/272 cover. So there are some minor differences in the cases for the different saws but they all have the same cylinder bolt pattern.

I hope this helps..............

I will try....

268se/xp; Higher performance versions of the 266se/xp. Closed ports, 67cc.

272xp; Replaced the 268xp, 72.2cc. All the 272s were xps with closed ports.

Streight 268; Open port version of the 268, 67cc but less power than the older 268se/xp.

A detuned version of the 272xp is still made in Brazil, maybe the 268 and 61 as well......

Last edited:
268se/xp; Higher performance versions of the 266se/xp. Closed ports, 67cc.

272xp; Replaced the 268xp, 72.2cc. All the 272s were xps with closed ports.

Streight 268; Open port version of the 268, 67cc but less power than the older 268se/xp.

A detuned version of the 272xp is still made in Brazil, maybe the 268 and 61 as well......

Correct as usual.:)

The 268 became a non-XP in the US with the arrival of the 272XP. They were called 268Special and had the larger starter cover decal as on the 272XP. They were only sold here for a year or two and there are not very many of them around.

The 268 became a non-XP in the US with the arrival of the 272XP. They were called 268Special and had the larger starter cover decal as on the 272XP.

So where in the transition does that leave my 268XP Special?

Just curious, as mine has a closed port jug instead of the open port version.

It is also a very powerful saw, runs equally as well as any standard 268XP or 272XP I've seen.....Cliff

The 268 became a non-XP in the US with the arrival of the 272XP. They were called 268Special and had the larger starter cover decal as on the 272XP.

It is also a very powerful saw, runs equally as well as any standard 268XP or 272XP I've seen.....Cliff

Yours is a great saw. I don't believe there was any difference between your saw and the earlier 268XP. It's essentially the same as a 272XP with a touch less displacement. Keep that sucker.

Thanks, and yes, it's keeper. The only negative comment I could make about the 268XPS is the lack of a compression release. It is very difficult to pull through at times, especially when fully warmed up......Cliff

Pop a 272 P&C on that beast. Then you will have more power and a compression release valve too!

I would if I could ever wear out the factory P/C. I've rebuilt this saw over the past couple of years, new AV mounts, fuel line, filter, vent, crankshaft seals, carburetor, intake gaskets, pull-start pully/rope, new bar/chain. It runs flawlessly, and cuts equally as fast as my friends 272XP. About the only difference between those two saws one can tell is that the one with the sharpest chain cuts a tad quicker than the other.

He does run a 24" bar on his, and mine with a 20" bar, which may even them up as far as power and cutting performance is concerned?

I did own a 1983 model 61 briefly, and it was a TURD in comparison to the 268XP. I ended up installing a 268XP jug, intake, etc, and selling that saw. BIG wake up call for the 61. The conversion isn't that bad, aside from the top cover not fitting and I had to use the original smaller carburetor instead of the larger one......Cliff

Last edited:
Correct as usual.:)

The 268 became a non-XP in the US with the arrival of the 272XP. They were called 268Special and had the larger starter cover decal as on the 272XP. They were only sold here for a year or two and there are not very many of them around.

I agree regarding the 268Special.
The IPLs show that the streight 268 lasted on many western markets until at least 2001, but not in the US (at least not officially)!

I hadn't notised that before.

On the other hand, lots of them obviously ended up there anyway.......

One possible theory is that they came trough the distributers that wasn't controlled by Husky USA (I believe they were in the West).

Another is that something like what later happened to the 372xp was going on - history is known to repeat itself.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Gosh Cliff, you might have one of those overlap/use up the parts saws. Maybe your 268special really is special. :)

I looked into this a while back, and from what I remember, the IPL for the 268Special is where the part number for the P&C changed. I wouldn't surprised at all if there were some specials that had XP jugs on them. I know there are 261's out there that had flat top pistons in them.

Does your saw have both "special" and "XP" decals? I haven't seen that before, but with these model transitions, nothing would surprise me.

"Does your saw have both "special" and "XP" decals?"

Yes, it says 268XP, and Special, and it has the closed port jug. I've had the muffler and intake off of it a couple of times to cofirm this.

Had a tach on it once, it free revs to apprx 13,500 rpm's with the carb set correctly. I can't remember when it was built, but can check the serial number and post it later today.......Cliff

Last edited:
"Does your saw have both "special" and "XP" decals?"

Yes, it says 268XP, and Special, and it has the closed port jug. I've had the muffler and intake off of it a couple of times to cofirm this.

Had a tach on it once, it free revs to apprx 13,500 rpm's with the carb set correctly. I can't remember when it was built, but can check the serial number and post it later today.......Cliff

Is that Special on the recoil cover, and XP on the top cover?

And to add to the uncertainty here, "XP" was never on the serial ID tag as it is today with the 372. It simply said "268", so once the decals are gone you have to go with the date of manufacture in order to determine which 268 you probably have.

As far as I know all 268's use the same cylinder/piston...all were 50mm with a 34mm stroke and the use of "XP" and "SE" decals was just Husqvarnas use of marketing hype.

If the 268 is cutting up there with a 272....the 272 is not working at true capacity.

They are both fine saws.

Last edited:
As far as I know all 268's use the same cylinder/piston...all were 50mm with a 34mm stroke and the use of "XP" and "SE" decals was just Husqvarnas use of marketing hype. ....

No!

Sure they all were 50mm x 34mm, but that is just a part of the story - the open port vs. the older closed port cylinders of the SE/XP make a .3kW/.4hp difference in max power output.

No!

Sure they all were 50mm x 34mm, but that is just a part of the story - the open port vs. the older closed port cylinders of the SE/XP make a .3kW/.4hp difference in max power output.

You must be getting confused with the 266...they had some open ported cylinders. As far as I know the 268 cylinders are all closed port.

You must be getting confused with the 266...they had some open ported cylinders. As far as I know the 268 cylinders are all closed port.

No, I am not confused at all - the 268s made after 1993 or so (more likely after 1991) have open-port cylinders, and are not xp saws. Max power went down from 4.8 to 4.4hp.

Did you read the whole thread before you posted, or did you just "jump in"?

Last edited:
I am not arguing with you...you can belive what you want...I have a basket full of 268 cylinders and the transfers are all closed. And I have never taken an open ported cylinder off a 268.

Back