Help w/ Stihl 3/8" chain I.D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluCllrSchlr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I p/u a used MS660 w/ 25" bar. I've been looking at the Stihl website trying to figure out which chain I've got so I'll know what size file to use.

I know it's 3/8", .050" gauge, has a single hump tie strap, tooth has a 30/35 degree angle across the top. But when I look at all of the different chains (Picco Micro, Rapid Micro/Super) I'm all confused.

I know there are two different size files that fit the various chains.

How do I tell?

a 660 should run a RS or RSC chain. The RS is Rapid Super, the RSC is Rapid Super Comfort, the C is for comfort, less vibration. None of the big saws will run the picco or micro chains, those are for the small guys i believe. So you should need a RS or RSC chain. For a 25" loop with a 3/8" pitch and a .050 depth according to the chart the correct chain would be the 33RSC-84.

Yesterday I took it to a local Stihl dealer. The guys there seemed up on their stuff. I showed him the saw and he told me it was a full chisel tooth. He had these dandy oversized models of saw chain teeth--one chisel, one chipper tooth.

Whoever sharpened the chain last put a huge amount of hook on the teeth. There's no way it would have lasted long unless I had been cutting very clean wood.

I still don't understand all the different names & models that Stihl calls their chains, but and starting to get my feet under me just by looking @ the tooth profile/shape.

Thanks

i just bought my first stihl back on October, took me awhile on the chains too but just keep studying and reading on them and it'll all make sense soon.

I prefer 7/32" file on 3/8 chain, I find the 13/64" tends to 'hook' the cutter. Of course there are many opinions on this and I only offer mine from experience.

sounds to me like a stock rs chain. as far as files go if i am in soft wood i use a 13/64 file and guide and set the rackes low. when in hard wood i use juat a 7/32 file and leave the rackers unless they are very high.:chainsaw:

Back