361 vs 041 (fit between 066M & 026 Pro)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djohn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently have an 066 Mag Red Eye as my big saw and an 041 to back it up and buck smaller stuff. I have several 026's (3) with muffler mods and WT426's so they run pretty well for limbing but I would like a saw that would fit where the 041 does but not kill my wrists due to the lack of AV. Love the torque on the 041 though.

I understand the HUGE difference between the 041 and more modern saws where RPM/torque is concerned but I wanted some expert advice on if the 361 would seem gutless torque wise compared to the 041.

Is the 361 the right choice or should I find a 044 or 441 or even a used 036 (for the increased torque)? Would the 044 or 441 be too close to the top end of my selection due to the 066 in my arsenal?

I currently have an 066 Mag Red Eye as my big saw and an 041 to back it up and buck smaller stuff. I have several 026's (3) with muffler mods and WT426's so they run pretty well for limbing but I would like a saw that would fit where the 041 does but not kill my wrists due to the lack of AV. Love the torque on the 041 though.

I understand the HUGE difference between the 041 and more modern saws where RPM/torque is concerned but I wanted some expert advice on if the 361 would seem gutless torque wise compared to the 041.

Is the 361 the right choice or should I find a 044 or 441 or even a used 036 (for the increased torque)? Would the 044 or 441 be too close to the top end of my selection due to the 066 in my arsenal?

Yes, torque wise the 361 is gutless in comparison. Even my 441 feels limp in comparison on torque.

I greatly prefer to buck wood in the 20" range with the 041 over a 361. For limbing the 361 is much faster though.

In some comparisons I've done, the 660 is only a fraction faster in 20" hickory than the 441. It is much faster in big wood though.

Yes, low rpm torque is much lower in the 361 (and it is only a 60cc saw), but yes, it will kick the 041's butt in the real world unless you're lugging though bigger wood.

For your range of saws, a 361 would be a great choice.

Main reason for sticking with Stihl is dealer support. That and previous experience has been better with most Stihl models.

Still worried I will miss the torque of the 041 if I replace it with a 361. Maybe one of the 026's should hit the road instead. I mostly cut hedge (osage orange) with some walnut, cherry, hickory, and oak. But mostly hedge.

I realize the 361 is only a 60cc saw but the 041 is also a 60cc, just a huge difference in design.

The old torque monsters are a blast to cut with. Loud, heavy, slow... kinda like me... LMAO... :laugh:

But once you try one of the newer saws like a 361... you'll like it a lot. Trust me.

Gary

Maybe I don't. I am not sure what version it is, I think it is a FB but didn't realize they weren't all 60cc.

The old FB's were rigid frames... I had one. Then they went to the AV's, then the Supers...

041 = 61cc

041AV = 61cc

041FB = 61cc

041 Super = 72cc

041G = 61cc

So the Supers were the only ones that had more displacement. When the AV models came about... the airfilter covers and muffler covers were changed as well... prolly some other stuff too...

Gary

Djohn; the 036 size is a dream, I have an 034 Super(do we see a trend?), and the balance and weight really make it nice. If you have a lot of big hedge, keep the 041 or use the 066. Or be like Brad and mod the living daylights out of them.
What is the ropm max on an 041S?

Back