Jred 630 -->670

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

371groundie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i have a jonsered 630 that somone gouged the piston and cylinder by using a screwdriver for a piston stop. :censored:

i have a lead on a 670 top end.

according to my research on here the top end will bolt on.

according to acresinternet the two models run different carbs.
the 630 runs Tillotson HS-218A series or HS225, or HS256A
the 670 runs a Tillotson HS-230A, B, or C

i cant find any numbers on the carb i have so i dont know which one i have. regardless.....

do you think my current carb will move the volume required for the larger displacement?

This is tricky, and the 670 top end won't bolt to a 630 case and run. The porting is different along with a host of other parts.

Last edited:
The 670 top end l fit on the 630.You will have to use the 670 intake setup though,like rubber flange,etc.Your 630 carb will fit but the venturi is smaller but that will fine though.The idle screw also position and design is different on the 670 carb also.

i have a jonsered 630 that somone gouged the piston and cylinder by using a screwdriver for a piston stop. :censored:

i have a lead on a 670 top end.

according to my research on here the top end will bolt on.

according to acresinternet the two models run different carbs.
the 630 runs Tillotson HS-218A series or HS225, or HS256A
the 670 runs a Tillotson HS-230A, B, or C

i cant find any numbers on the carb i have so i dont know which one i have. regardless.....

do you think my current carb will move the volume required for the larger displacement?

Let me look tonight when I get home, I may have that tilly for you. I have 4.

The 670 top end l fit on the 630.You will have to use the 670 intake setup though,like rubber flange,etc.Your 630 carb will fit but the venturi is smaller but that will fine though.The idle screw also position and design is different on the 670 carb also.

Good info as usual - I would be sceptical about that smaller venturi carb though......:)

Or maybe I am thinking of the 625, anyways this family is confusing. Try to add the Husky counterparts and my head wants to explode.

If my memory serves me right the 630 is 61 husky and the 670 is a 66 husky. The cylinder can be different, some have a clamp on rubber carb boot and some have a plastic carb manifold. Two types of ignitions and two different case castings.

If my memory serves me right the 630 is 61 husky and the 670 is a 66 husky. The cylinder can be different, some have a clamp on rubber carb boot and some have a plastic carb manifold. Two types of ignitions and two different case castings.

Let me see if I get this right; the 630 is the counterpart to the 162 (or at least the most similar model) that came out in the early 80's. The 625 is the counterpart of the 61. The 670 is closest to the 266 or 268, but the JRed cylinder has a part number of it's own that Husky doesn't have.

Let me see if I get this right; the 630 is the counterpart to the 162 (or at least the most similar model) that came out in the early 80's. The 625 is the counterpart of the 61. The 670 is closest to the 266 or 268, but the JRed cylinder has a part number of it's own that Husky doesn't have.

I've been trying to find a 630 cylinder. I have a 61 and a 61 rancher and both of those cylinders are different. Is the 630 closed port or open port?

I would like to experiment with a 670, 268xp or 272 top end. I have both carb mounts that I scavenged from parts saws.

You are right.

wow this confusion is contagious!

thanks you very much fredmc, let me know what you find.

thanks to everyone for their input, confusing though it may be.

the 630 is closed port. i thought i had a 625 because thats what the rewind said. i was enlightened by a recent thread. and then checked the tag on the crankcase. should have looked there first to begin with.

so with fredmc's carb and the top end i have coming i should be all set right?

Lee, if you're sure you're right I'm gonna write it down. I can't keep that straight either. But I notice you don't mention the 272's counterpart....

Er... that's a question, I guess...

Last edited:

I agree on the mess, that saw family is a PITA to figure out.

The original was the 162se (1976), and that one sure lead to the 630 (1982).

The 266se appeared in 1981, and soon was transformed into the 670 as well (1982) - from that point they developed differently, the Jonsered sure became the better one after a few years (around 1987). At that point the Husky became an xp, but I believe that was just "decale trimming".

The 268se/xp appeared at about the same time (1986) - it outperformed the 266 and the original 670 - but not the 670 Super/Champ.

The 268xp is the one that ws developed into the ultimate version - the 272xp.

The 625 was the Jred version of the 61 - the "Rancher" saw in that family, as you said.

There were more models as well, but I think I stop here.....

Last edited:
No-expert

The 266se appeared in 1981, and soon was transformed into the 670 as well (1982) - from that point they developed differently, the Jonsered sure became the better one after a few years (around 1987). At that point the Husky became an xp, but I believe that was just "decale trimming".

The 268se/xp appeared at about the same time (1986) - it outperformed the 266 and the original 670 - but not the 670 Super/Champ.

The 625 was the Jred version of the 61 - the "Rancher" saw in that family, as you said.

I believe you have it right Niko. The 630 is a closed port version of the 61 Husky. More power but still 61cc(+ or -) with a 48MM bore, whereas the 625 is the open port version same as the 61.

So if a friend of mine :monkey: were trying to figure out the two-part ignition ignition vs. the one-part ignition issue, could I construe from what you say that the 670 has a two-part ignition and the 670 Super has a one-piece ignition?

the 670 jug and piston will bolt right on the 630 crankcase. the 630 carb bolts on the jug with a solid manifold, the 670 carb connects by a rubber boot. the 670 carb also has the vent tube that a hose connects to that goes to the jug. the 630 crankcase vents thru the carb and manifold. if you chose to go to the 670 jug assembly you need to find a 670 boot and use the 670 carb setup. I happen to have a new in the box 670 carb but you would need to buy the boot to connect it to the jug. if interested pm me. im not sure of the year they changed but all the older models were two piece ignitions while the later models were one piece ignitions in this family of saws. rick

Last edited:
Back