Pioneer P26 Gas/Oil mix ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blbrady

Reaction score
I bought this saw new but have not used in several years. I needed to get it going due to Hurricane Isabel*@#!. I have several trees down I need to saw up and move off.

Anyway I can not find the owners manual so I do not know what gas-oil mix ratio to use in this machine. Can anyone help?

Also can anyone give me engine size and horsepower for this saw in case I want to buy a new saw.

I liked the cutting speed, handling, and size of this saw a lot. (could be a little lighter weight) But I do not know what to compare the saw too today as possible replacement. I know that Pioneer is no longer in business.

I am open for suggestions on a recommendation for a replacement to be use for emergency situations like Isabel#%@!&#*. I have lots of large oak trees on my lot.

Thanks
blbrady

The Husky 353 and Stihl MS280 would be good replacements, slightly over $300 each and both would outcut your Pioneer

Even if the manufacturer said 16/1 when new you don't need that much oil. The oils are better now. Most people are properly hesitant to run 50/1 in a saw that used 16/1 initially-they worry about design tolerances etc. Many manucturers did however reccomend 32/1 for ALL models when they introduced 32/1 oils in their lines. I have personally run a bunch of older saws for unbelievable numbers of hours on 32/1. Buy a good two cycle oil and run 32/1 and you should have no trouble but a lot less smoke and carbon deposits than 16/1.:)

As Stumper indicates, today's 32:1 mixes are a good choice for the older saws. My early 70's Remington SL9 is listed at 16:1 with the recommended oil as SAE 30 2 cycle oil. This is an old version of 2 cycle mix that really doesn't compare to the mixes in common use today.

The Remington runs great on 32:1 as the technology of today's oil provides better lubrication, corrosion protection, and minimizes deposits.

Running the current 2 cycle mixes designed for 32:1 or 50:1 at a 16:1 ratio will certainly protect against a lean seizure, however, its gonna smoke & quickly build up carbon in the exhaust port & muffler.

There's also the viewpoint that the engine will run hotter with too much oil as the heat can't transfer efficiently from the piston thru the rings to the cylinder walls.

Mike

if u havnt hurt that p26. it seems to be a good saw with easy arc decompression starting ,chain break. why would u replace it until it brakes . then getting it worked on mite be more trouble.
a suggestion ,try 95vp 16 inch chain and micro bar on that saw. its probably .325 already.u mite be surprised at what u got there . jmo.

Mike Acres

Thanks for your efforts and the info on your web site. I have the page bookmarked & use it frequently as a reference for older & vintage saws.

Hope the fire season is over and that everyone is safe in B.C.

Mike

I have been running mine at 32:1 with regular and synthetic for a few years now with no problems. Funny thing is I live in the area where these were made and know a few guys that worked there. More than a few saws came of the line with no serial numbers and the replacement part sales at local dealers were not all that high if you know what I mean.

in any case if mine had run allthe time like it did sometime.. it was about as good as the modern saw as to cutting.
it was seasonal tho so i sold it.. dependability is somethin i got to have

Mix is 24:1

I am looking at the original P26 Manual as I write this and the gas oil mix ration is 24:1 not 15:1 Hope you did not wipe out your saw...

I bought this saw new but have not used in several years. I needed to get it going due to Hurricane Isabel*@#!. I have several trees down I need to saw up and move off.

Anyway I can not find the owners manual so I do not know what gas-oil mix ratio to use in this machine. Can anyone help?

Also can anyone give me engine size and horsepower for this saw in case I want to buy a new saw.

I liked the cutting speed, handling, and size of this saw a lot. (could be a little lighter weight) But I do not know what to compare the saw too today as possible replacement. I know that Pioneer is no longer in business.

I am open for suggestions on a recommendation for a replacement to be use for emergency situations like Isabel#%@!&#*. I have lots of large oak trees on my lot.

Thanks
blbrady

Back