I rescued a 029 today couldn't stand it in a pile of 30 wildthings. The ugly pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Work Saw Collector

GTG Coffee Maker
Reaction score
I rescued a 029 today, I couldn't stand it in a pile of 30 wildthings. The ugly pictures. Not sure its worth fixing. Who would think painting it would make it look better? I haven't checked it out yet, but feels like no compression.

3921544004_1c94de209b.jpg

3921544690_a731460fdc.jpg

Even if its not worth fixing, a proper burial would be in order, NOT in a pile of dead wildthings! Good Luck

Send it to me. I love Supers. It will run again if you do. I have a piston sitting here now.

I will take it if you dont fix it, will get it running again too, with pics and videos

A big hoorah for a hero. Is that a Jonesastihl? or a Stihlmar?

I think everybody should carry a camera with them, always somethan interesting to take pictures of. Ive seen plenty at the saw shops.

Saw Dr. performed the autopsy lastnight. Going to rebuild this one for a friend who needs it more than me. So far the top end is wasted, crank bearings noisy, flywheel missing fins, fuel line and impulse line crap. Cylinder looks iffy, but I have a good 45mm top end if need be. I have tons of 1127 parts, so I'm figuring about $60 out the door if I go with aftermarket parts.

It looks like the saw got painted to cover up a profanity that was written on the top in permanent marker. Maybe a pizzed off woman??? I stripped the black lastnight, and found the "artwork." I'll get some pics up along the way.

Saw Dr. performed the autopsy lastnight. Going to rebuild this one for a friend who needs it more than me. So far the top end is wasted, crank bearings noisy, flywheel missing fins, fuel line and impulse line crap. Cylinder looks iffy, but I have a good 45mm top end if need be. I have tons of 1127 parts, so I'm figuring about $60 out the door if I go with aftermarket parts.

It looks like the saw got painted to cover up a profanity that was written on the top in permanent marker. Maybe a pizzed off woman??? I stripped the black lastnight, and found the "artwork." I'll get some pics up along the way.

I'll be happy to see it up and going, should make someone a nice saw. I still have a 029 S and I use it.

Nice work saving this one, it looked like it had potential to me. Sounds like your shop has a lot in common with mine.... boxes of stuff just waiting for the right saw.

I set a new personal best on this strip-down. 28 minutes. Maybe not up to Thall and Fish levels, but I think it is pretty good for a rookie.

OK, Pics you get. I hope the first one is not against forum rules.

attachment.php

Not too bad on the inside. I think the damage occurred on the outside, and the owner painted it to hide the writing.

attachment.php

The crank and piston assy with bad seals, bearings, and of course the scored piston. Middle is the "custom" impulse line. Right = busted flywheel. I just gave one of these away too, #@!&%

attachment.php

The fuel line is "modded" too. They skimmed the outside of it with some RTV to fill in the cracks.....

attachment.php

I laid the air filter on this paper towel so it would be easier to see.

attachment.php

Last edited:
The cylinder is (obviously) scored. I have not started the cleanup yet. A little worried about that mark 2/3's of the way to the left. Just about catching a fingernail in it already, and I have not put any acid on there yet.

attachment.php

Drive sprocket is not too badly worn. I bet this is the original too. Sad that someone would just destroy this thing.

attachment.php

I hate it when they're dirty like this.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back