Some STIHL News From Germany; MS441 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Net-Knight1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello from Bavaria/Germany,

some News what's goin' on Overseas.
I don't know if you're interested in, but i'm telling you.

Stihl throws a MS441 C-M saw on the early 2010 Market. It uses a full electronic Carburetor called "M-Tronic", no carb settings needed/possible.

"The fully electronic engine management system eliminates manual carburetor settings unnecessary, and automatically checks for optimum ignition timing and fuel metering. This manifests itself in a very comfortable, significantly simplified startup process, optimum power delivery and rapid acceleration"

Don't know if the Saw would be available in the US.

Sorry for my bad writing, but I'm tryin'.

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany.

You are doing a good job.

Thanks for giving us the scoop on this. Very interesting.

I think well see a lot more use of computers/electronics to control engines on saws and other outdoor power equipment. Should make them more user friendly.

Now if they would just make a saw that sharpened its own chain and cleaned itself...

Mr. HE:cool:

The first question that pops in my head is what about modding these saws. Will the computers be able compensate for porting/ muffler mods and such work like that? Either way, i think it's cool.

Thanks for info!
Looked for it in stihl.de, but couldn't find, but came across these saws I hadn't seen:
Stihl MS 311
Stihl MS 391

i hate the idea. These things are fine if they work and stihl is a good company with good products.. they probably will work fine in most cases. But things will always go wrong, everything can develop a fault and when it comes to electronic faults the average amateur mechanic will struggle.

Itll be like cars.. more and more electronics and computers which manage every thing. Some little chip or sensor malfunctions and there you are staring at some circuit board realising youre way out of your depth... The only cure? take it to the dealer. :(

i know its the future but i hate the way its going. If we're spared some yrs down the line, i wonder how things will go when someone such as myself asks a question about a fault on a saw on this site. "My saw wont start..." - "well take it to the dealer , he'll hook it up to his laptop to read the fault code"

i hate the idea. These things are fine if they work and stihl is a good company with good products.. they probably will work fine in most cases. But things will always go wrong, everything can develop a fault and when it comes to electronic faults the average amateur mechanic will struggle.

Itll be like cars.. more and more electronics and computers which manage every thing. Some little chip or sensor malfunctions and there you are staring at some circuit board realising youre way out of your depth... The only cure? take it to the dealer. :(

i know its the future but i hate the way its going. If we're spared some yrs down the line, i wonder how things will go when someone such as myself asks a question about a fault on a saw on this site. "My saw wont start..." - "well take it to the dealer , he'll hook it up to his laptop to read the fault code"

Well Said, You will have to take your non-working saw in to the shop and pay $80 bucks to have them hook it up to some sort of computer analyzer!

or you will go to baileys and order a obd scanner and read codes for many different saw just like you can for cars. then, no more guessing whether it is a bad carb or an air leak.

Thanks for info!
Looked for it in stihl.de, but couldn't find, but came across these saws I hadn't seen:
Stihl MS 311
Stihl MS 391

The power vs. weight specs of those look very un-impressive, as could be expected - they are not pro saws! :taped:

Guys, take it easy on the computer saws.

Used to be you had to be a gearhead to get more power out of a car. Now most of them you can plug in a computer chip and see instant gains; no greasy fingers, no garage full of tools, no busted knuckles.

Saws will get there too. It won't be long before you log in here and see a thread about hacking the controller and getting more from a saw by plugging it into your USB port.

Sure the first few models will have bugs, time will work them out. It was the same way with carbs of yesteryear; they are fairly reliable now, but were a total pain in the early days.

Well Said, You will have to take your non-working saw in to the shop and pay $80 bucks to have them hook it up to some sort of computer analyzer!

Respectfully, but totaly disagree with both of you. Electronic are more reliable than ever. (I realize nothing's perfect) I would bet as long as the carb can physically meet the demands of the saw, the 'puter will do it. No more worrying about the saw leaning out or having to run it a little richer when you're really going to be working it.

Used to be you had to be a gearhead to get more power out of a car. Now most of them you can plug in a computer chip and see instant gains; no greasy fingers, no garage full of tools, no busted knuckles.

Saws will get there too. It won't be long before you log in here and see a thread about hacking the controller and getting more from a saw by plugging it into your USB port.

Sure the first few models will have bugs, time will work them out. It was the same way with carbs of yesteryear; they are fairly reliable now, but were a total pain in the early days.

+1 :agree2:

BTW, Thank you NK1 for the info!

I agree. It's not all doom and gloom!

The chip tuning available for example on the little VW diesels is extraordinary.

Hello from Bavaria/Germany,

some News what's goin' on Overseas.
I don't know if you're interested in, but i'm telling you.

Stihl throws a MS441 C-M saw on the early 2010 Market. It uses a full electronic Carburetor called "M-Tronic", no carb settings needed/possible.

"The fully electronic engine management system eliminates manual carburetor settings unnecessary, and automatically checks for optimum ignition timing and fuel metering. This manifests itself in a very comfortable, significantly simplified startup process, optimum power delivery and rapid acceleration"

Don't know if the Saw would be available in the US.

Sorry for my bad writing, but I'm tryin'.

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany.

rep sent. Keep the updates coming!

I agree. It's not all doom and gloom!

The chip tuning available for example on the little VW diesels is extraordinary.

Forgot about them, another good example. I was thinking of the diesel trucks. I have some friends that are towing heavy trailers with their one tons and get 20+ miles to the gallon. They come to a hill and push a couple of buttons and climb up the hill at 65mph, while towing six tons of hay on a two ton trailer.

Full gains still takes some iron working, but the other half is the computers.

Yep!

This is why I love my '68 & 72 chevy trucks....I can work on them myself. Techno nerds everywhere are wetting their pants in anticipation of a completly computer controlled world.

Us neanderthals are dying out.....again.....{sniff}

RD

Yep!

This is why I love my '68 & 72 chevy trucks....I can work on them myself. Techno nerds everywhere are wetting their pants in anticipation of a completly computer controlled world.

Us neanderthals are dying out.....again.....{sniff}

RD

There is something to be said for old trucks and machines in general. My dream it get myself an old lister diesel engine someday. They are still one of the most efficient engines available.

Sadly they don't meet emission regulations. :rolleyes:
Truth is you take how long they run and how much work they do for fuel used and they are probably one of the most environmentally friendly engines around.

The nerds who only know how to use a computer will be at a loss when their clutch side bearing goes out.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back