Husky 266 Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJosh

Reaction score
I just bought a 1984 Husqvarna 266 SE and am havin some trouble gettin it to stay running. I just rebuilt the stock carb because it was hydro locking. Other than that to my knowledge its stock. I can get it to start but it doesnt stay runnin for more than a max of about 3 seconds. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this thing running again? Any suggestions or tips or knowledge would be helpful. Thanks.

Was there old gas in it? Had it sat for a long time without running? First thing to check in my mind is the fuel lines as they tend to get eaten up by bad gas. A small pinhole is all it takes.

Ya but it ran for about a week with no problems so I dont know if it just recently happened. I think i messed up the high and low settings on the carb to where its getting too much gas but it wont stay running long enough to set it. When i tip it upside down no gas leaks out either so I think the fuel lines are still good.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a 272...found out I reversed the intake during the re-assembly!

Ya but it ran for about a week with no problems so I dont know if it just recently happened. I think i messed up the high and low settings on the carb to where its getting too much gas but it wont stay running long enough to set it. When i tip it upside down no gas leaks out either so I think the fuel lines are still good.

You should have a big Tilly HS on it. Set the low mixture needle (the one closest to the head) to about one turn out after seating it all the way in (gently). Do the same with the high mix. These settings should get you close enough to get it running and you can fine tune from there. I'd spin the idle speed screw in enough to crack the throttle a little.

Let us know how it goes!

Back