Stihl 015 leaking question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipDawg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 015 that I'm cleaning up to use as a camp saw at the hunting cabin. Got it running good, but have a problem with leaking bar oil. If the saw is tilted toward the left (choke side), the bar oil will all run out of the side of the saw. Anyone have this problem, and can anyone offer any advice as to how to fix said problem.

I'll bet it would be really funny, but lets skip the " just don't tilt it to the left" comments for now please. :help::bowdown::dunno:

You can either replace the tank or I would not be afraid to use jb weld on the oil tank. Used tanks come up often on e-bay.

My 015 leaks bar oil as well. The tanks (gas as well) is integral to the body of the saw (although i think that it depends on vintage). On my saw, there is a cover that comes off to give access to the two tanks...the gasket might be bad. I have also heard that there is an o-ring where the oil comes out for lubrication. As was said, clean it up real good and you should be able to see where it is leaking from. The body/tanks of my saw is metal, so jb would def work. Good luck!

Its the small one in the front, sorry for the pic quality. It appears to be the metal tank.

I wouldn't bother doing much with that oil tank if you're not running an air filter on it. I know they're NLA from Stihl, but you'll fry the little guy pretty quick that way. Last one I got without a filter, I just made my own out of foam, and used filter oil on it. Took about 5 minutes. You can get foam filter material at Autozone if you don't have it. Just get a Briggs and Stratton filter, and start carving.

Where exactly does the oil leak out from? I have seen more than one of those front tank cover/handles that were cracked. Have you noticed bar oil in the gas, or gas in the bar oil?

I actually haven't run it, other then to get it to start and adjust the carb. I blew the air filter out and it doesn't look too bad. I just set it out without the cover to snap the picture the other evening. The oil seems to be coming from the hole that the air filter cover threads into, as fer as I could tell as it poured oil all over the driveway:mad: I don't smell any gas in the spilt oil.

The oil pumps on those leak also. There is no oil anywhere near the air filter on that one. The oil tank is on the front right, and the oil pump is connected directly to the back of the tank.

I would pull the recoil cover off, and see where the oil is coming from.

Back