The Great WI 50cc Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Since some of the previous 50cc shootouts have been done with "not exactly stock" saws, it was decided that we would have a bone-stock 50cc shootout at the WI/MN/IA GTG. The biggest problem we had was finding stock saws. We did not have a stock 260 or 346 available.

We did run a Husky 350, and had planned to run a 250 Stihl, but the 250 was scratched for unknown reasons. The contestants wound up being a brand new 5105 Dolmar, not yet broken in, and a Jonsered 2153, both provided by WetGunPowder, along with a pair of 5100s, belonging to Grandpatractor (well broken in) and me (mostly broken in, maybe 10 tanks through it.), along with the 350 Husky, forgot who's saw it was.

The competition was 1 downcut and 1 upcut in the same oak cant, using the same bars/chains (all chains were new Oregon LGX, in both 3/8 and .325 pitch) Thanks again to WetGunPowder for providing the chains, and turning wrenches swapping bars and sprockets. Two operators ran each saw, Grandpatractor and Redlinefever, and the times I'm posting are a total of both times, from two stopwatch operators.

Here are the times I have, totaled up:

Grandpatractor's 5100: 49.06 3/8, 51.30 .325
2153: 51.89 3/8, 49.52 .325 with a stuck saw on one cut
Steve NW WI's 5100: 49.68 3/8, 53.88 .325
5105: 59.98, couldn't read the .325 results on my pic of the scores.
350 results were on another sheet, someone else will have to chime in with them.

Our observations were that there wasn't enough difference between them to declare a big winner, and that the 5105 was definitely not broken in yet. .325 vs 3/8 looks like probably a personal preference, with one saw faster with .325 and two slower, but just a second or two difference either way.

We also ran the 5105 with the stock 72V Oregon safety chain, with times roughly 20% slower than with LGX.

I've got a bunch of videos of the shootout that I'll get uploaded as I get time, for those of you with a stopwatch at home :D

attachment.php

good stuff, sounds like you all had some fun :clap:

one thing on combined times....add all the times can give some false results, it only takes one bad cut to put a saw out of contention.....better to do say 3 sets of cuts and take best for each saw.

cheers,
Serg

good stuff, sounds like you all had some fun :clap:

one thing on combined times....add all the times can give some false results, it only takes one bad cut to put a saw out of contention.....better to do say 3 sets of cuts and take best for each saw.

cheers,
Serg

If you look at Ryan's run with the 2153 we noted a stuck saw. He make mistake and we had him run it again to get an accurate time. We didn't record the bad run. We were trying to be as accurate as we could and not blame the saw if either of us made a bad run.

real interesting that they were all so close in time. Real interesting that Ryan is always slower then JD but he was consistently slower thats important I think

I've got a bunch of videos of the shootout that I'll get uploaded as I get time, for those of you with a stopwatch at home

Just how accurate is video, compared to real time? (when you measure hundreds of seconds etc.) Just thinking - good post!

Well imagine that. Your testing shows the same thing ours did. The 2153/346 is the fastest saw. What can I say? Told you so! Add that to the fact that it handles better and you have a clear winner. And when I can get a 346 with B&C for $440, price isn't even a consideration.

Well imagine that. Your testing shows the same thing ours did. The 2153/346 is the fastest saw. What can I say? Told you so! Add that to the fact that it handles better and you have a clear winner. And when I can get a 346 with B&C for $440, price isn't even a consideration.

2153 was beat by half a second by JD's 5100, mine only lost by .17 seconds. Is that worth $100-150? I like the feel of the 2153, not so much the 346. Woodyman's modded 346 was an awesome machine though, I think it will run with a 70cc saw in >20" wood.

Brad, I love your work. I think you try to be fair to every saw that you touch. But, stock vs stock, I think that there is no hands down winner.

I'd love to do this again, with a 260 and a 346 to report, and enough time to make 3 sets of cuts and average them. I suspect that the results will be similar, though.

My advice, buy the saw you want, and enjoy it. They are all 150% better than the old saws I grew up with.

Hmm!!!

Grandpatractor's 5100: 49.06 3/8, 51.30 .325
2153: 51.89 3/8, 49.52 .325 with a stuck saw on one cut
Steve NW WI's 5100: 49.68 3/8, 53.88 .325

I didn't really see a faster saw. I wood really like to try and maybe buy a 346, from all i hear they're great little saws. I do like a rim thats easy to flip or change tho, but thats just the lazy bum im me.

I didn't really see a faster saw. I wood really like to try and maybe buy a 346, from all i hear they're great little saws. I do like a rim thats easy to flip or change tho, but thats just the lazy bum im me.

Yup we had to wait on Wetgunpowder to get the sprocket changed over on the 2153. That's why it was getting so dark.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::ices_rofl:

Back