Ms 290 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takidd4597

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a 3 month old MS290 from a dealer here and have cut aproximately 2 cords of wood with it and it has run perfect every single time until today.

Today it started off running perfect like laways and then it kinda made a bog down sound and after that cut I went to move and when it hit idle it died. Could not get it to restart at first but hwen it did restart I put it to the log and it was running great but then sounded like it ran out of fuel and died. It had a full tank of fresh fuel in it though. I tried to restart it but nothing, the I choked it and nothing. I let it sit and got the other saw and came back an hour later chiked it and it started up and ran for about 2 minutes and then sounded like it ran out of gas again and would not start up again. 5 minutes later it started and did the same thing, there is no noticeable difference in rpms when you change the position and it runs great until it dies.

Any idea what this might be. It is under warranty but I don't want to take it to them if it is something stupid that I need to correct.

It is a MS290, just cleaned the filters and checked everything over the night before sawing. Gas is fresh and good.

WELCOME!!!!!!

After I ran about ten tanks in my 290 it started giving me fits.. Hard to start would die and not start back up till the next day...I put in a Champion plug took it to the dealer and let them reset the carb and all is still fine....

Good luck..

I agree, sounds fuel/mix related.

Likely old or dirty fuel.

But we are in denial, or the previous owner is.

Might want to explore the 3 month old story.....

bought new

I bought it brand new from the dealer.

I have it mixed at 50:1 with fresh fuel from the station.

I got a 3 month old MS290 .

Any idea what this might be. It is under warranty but I don't want to take it to them if it is something stupid that I need to correct.

It is a MS290, just cleaned the filters and checked everything over the night before sawing. Gas is fresh and good.

Sorry, I must have read it wrong....

Old/bad gas is the response anyway.

OK, more precise, you need to take apart the carb and blow out the old gas "scum" in there....
No warranty....

Oh boy help

Something ocurred to me as I wrote the last reply and I asked my 10yo son if he helped daddy when he was getting the stuff ready to go cut and guess what! He topped daddys gas can off with fresh gas from the big can and yes- No added oil!

Will the saw be ok if I fix the mixture or is it ruined???

What do I need to do??

This was my first new good saw!

well, ignoring me is always the best route.

so what/who is/was 3 month old?

going through a carb properly is something good to learn.

What do I need to do??

Nope.. it's not. You need to pull the muffler at the least and look at the piston. You might get lucky and only have a stuck ring.

If it's running bad, the damage is done.

Also, you just happen to own a clamshell designed saw, so pulling the cylinder is going to involve a lot more than just removing 4 bolts.

If it's not too bad, most cylinders will clean up with a little muratic acid, and then just replace the scored piston and rings. It sounds like you didn't run it too long like that.

I had one with a bad fuel line that the previous owner kept running. That was a $160 donation to Fish for a new engine. (cheaper than buying piston, cylinder, rings, and bearings from dealer).

Good luck!

Accusing me of jumping to conclusions pales in comparison to those talking
of replacing pistons and rings, on a 3 month old saw/gas with no real
info.......

velcome

like every one has said pull muffler. you are looking for vertical streaking on the piston:cheers:

Straight gassed saw is not a warranty issue for any dealer. That is the owners fault.

Since the saw had been started and ran till it stopped repeatedly... I'm guessin you will find a pretty big scuff and some scoring on the cylinder and piston at the exhaust side.

Gary

Something ocurred to me as I wrote the last reply and I asked my 10yo son if he helped daddy when he was getting the stuff ready to go cut and guess what! He topped daddys gas can off with fresh gas from the big can and yes- No added oil!

What do I need to do??

Well, there's your problem.

Let us know how bad it is, but I fear it's an expensive lesson for the two of you.

Jack

Back