McCulloch 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody know about how much a McCulloch 10-10 is worth? The saw looks complete but is not running. The exterior of the saw looks above average with nothing cracked, broken, or missing. Are they still worth messing with?

If you need a project, that is a worthwhile one. I would not pay more than $25 for a non-running 10-10, but I already have a few. Those are a very good firewood saw if you don't mind the lack of anti-vibe handlebars. Around here running ones will bring $75 or so. Maybe $100 if it is very pretty, and less if it does not have a chain brake. Be careful: rebuilding chainsaws can be VERY addicting.

If you need a project, that is a worthwhile one. I would not pay more than $25 for a non-running 10-10, but I already have a few. Those are a very good firewood saw if you don't mind the lack of anti-vibe handlebars. Around here running ones will bring $75 or so. Maybe $100 if it is very pretty, and less if it does not have a chain brake. Be careful: rebuilding chainsaws can be VERY addicting.

Exactly there Tim!

The chainbrake covers alone will bring $40-$50 for some reason. I sold one awhile ago to another member here and I sold it for $100 only because it was a chainbrake model. It was average to look at but sound mechanically.

Now without the chainbrake, and average shape I agree with the $75. Its not like there hard to find. McCulloch made a bunch of them for good reason.

Non running but with a good P/C I agree with what you say.

Large, Pro-model saws of any brand are usually worth fixing up. It's not real profitable unless you're getting the saws for free or cheap but like B200 said, it's fun and addicting.

So, if you had a choice of several brands, other than Stihl, what brand would you want to fix up? I can probably find several Poulans and Homelites cheap that need carbs rebuilt, etc.

If you are new to this rebuilding, I would recommend the MAC 10-10 you mention, A Homelite XL-12/SXL, or a Poulan 306. They are all very similar, pretty easy to work on, and there were tens of thousands produced. Parts are plentiful for all of them, parts are relatively cheap, and they'll still cut firewood quite well. There is NOTHING more rewarding than showing up to cut firewood with a nice classic saw. Someone always shows up with a new MS-whatever xpg with a dull chain on it. The jaws usually drop about 5 seconds after it hits the wood and the new saw can't keep up. My MAC 10-10s is one of my favorites for this trick

I picked up a clean running non-chainbrake 10-10A last weekend for $60. Runs great. I'd pay $20-25 for a non-running one, unless I knew in advance why it wasn't running, in which case I'd adjust my offer accordingly. You can always get your $25 back out of it, either as parts for yourself or on CL/eBay.

what about 10-10s....what are they worth? They have a bigger bore with chain break...they are 57cc as opposed to 54cc model 10-10. I just picked up a brand spanky new one with a cracked rear handle at an auction. The old man must have damaged it and was afrad to use it. still has original bar and chain and no dust under the clutch cover. Sounds so darn cool! My new favorite saw

I watch the 10-10S go for well over a hundred bills if it's in nice shape and running. The 10-10 is a great sounding saw.

I have several 10 Series saws, 1-10's, 2-10, 3-10E, 5-10, 6-10, 7-10, and a few 10-10's plus a PM700 that runs well, a couple of PM55's, and some 80/850 saws that need a lot of work.

I really do enjoy running the 2-10 as it is in pretty good shape. It is equipped with the McCulloch 10 Series flat back (bull frog) carburetor and I had to work with it quite a bit to make it right, but now that it is right it is pretty sweet.

The 7-10 is the most fun to run, but as a 70cc saw in the same size/weight package as the 10-10 is should be.

A nice running 10-10 is a fun saw to operate, but since it does lack modern anti-vibration features they can be a bit hard on the hands if you run it for a while. I have operated saws without chain brakes longer that saws equipped with a brake so I don't miss it if it is not there, some guys rate them a lot higher on their list of priorities.

As mentioned, the 10 Series are relatively easy to work on and parts are available and affordable.

Mark

I have a kerbillion (yes, that's a real number :p) 10-10's. . . One of my favorite chainsaws to run.

Keep it and fix it, the sound they make alone is worth running one IMO.

I paid $80 for a pro mac 10-10, it has a chain brake and it came with a case. It runs great. I love the sound of these saws, I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get into the woods and cut some firewood with it.

Yup I plan of finding a handle assembly for it because ive already cut wood with the first day i got it...i couldnt resist! The sound is wicked as you all say...plus the saw is not weak by any means. Anyone have a pdf format of a IPL for this little beast they could send? PM me if ya can help. I have fell in love with the old macs..they are a legend and in a class all there own. It started with a mac 790 that i had to get a reproduction carb kit from suger creek supply...thanks JOE it runs like a champ. I need more saws! CAD is so awsome...hopefully that BS obama care doesnt limit the saws you can own. Oh and thanks Mark H. you were the one that pointed me in the right direction...you were right...the old macs are a bunch a fun to run!:cheers::rock:

McCulloch Still Runs Like New

I have a 10-10 that I bought in 1977 or 78 and it runs like new and has had the crap ran out of it. I was going to change the fuel line and found that they make two sizes of fuel lines for the 10-10 McCulloch chainsaws it just depends on what line you have. Does anyone know more about this.

Here is what I have for saws

101_0553.jpg
1010 McCulloch Stihl MS180 Stihl MS250

Since we are posting pictures here are my 10-10s.

1.My 10-10A with original bar and Mcculloch branded chain.

129_1980.jpg

2. Here is my Pro 10-10A

129_1981.jpg

I picked up 2 10-10's and a 2-10 at an auction this weekend for 5 dollars each. No one else bid. I could have got them for less but I figured some of the other guys looking at them were going to bid. I started a 10-10 and my son started the 2-10 before we loaded them in the car. Great sounding saws. We could not wait to get to the wood pile. The 10-10 runs strong. The 2-10 is low on power but I have a good piston and cylinder on another saw that has carb issues so I can get one runner for sure. The other 10-10 needs work. I did not plan to keep the saws when I bought them but after firing them up they won't be going anywhere. My son and I will both keep one.

Its funny how that CAD works. I bought my mac 790 thinkin I could sell it for a profit as I only paid $25 in great condition. I got it running and now...I refuse to get rid of it. I have the loudest baddest saw in the county except for a hot saw guy I know by the name Mike Overly who has made a westbend 820 powered race saw..but that dont count he cheated. To think positvely...maybe that new obama care will give us all money to buy more saws to cure CAD. We just need the fda to look in to the mental health risks if they dont. lol

Its funny how that CAD works. I bought my mac 790 thinkin I could sell it for a profit as I only paid $25 in great condition. I got it running and now...I refuse to get rid of it. I have the loudest baddest saw in the county except for a hot saw guy I know by the name Mike Overly who has made a westbend 820 powered race saw..but that dont count he cheated. To think positvely...maybe that new obama care will give us all money to buy more saws to cure CAD. We just need the fda to look in to the mental health risks if they dont. lol

It seems like when they belong to someone else it would be a nice saw to make money on, but when it becomes yours, ITS A KEEPER! I've got it too!

Back