Homelite Super XL Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a beautiful Homelite Super XL Automatic sitting at home, I bought it several years ago off Ebay from a guy who does restorations. I am trying to find out some info about the saw - how many cc's, what year it was manufactured, etc. The saw is metallic blue and white in color, the serial number is 3E0130399, UT# 10499B. It was sold to me immediately after restoration, I have not run it yet. I have a couple of other chainsaws (Stihl 029 Super and MS 460) but bought this saw because I liked the way it looks -something about these old machines is really neat, and they're built like a rock. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in regards to this, any info would be appreciated.

Brent

SXL Automatic

I have 4 of these saws and they are tougher than nails. The SXL was 58cc of loud, vibrating chain saw!! Not a lot of fun to use all the time but great as a once in a while saw or back up or saw for camp firewood. Live forever!! The blue and white ones are fairly early probably mid to late sixties. Good saws.:cheers:

Model: SUPER XL AUTO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: HOMELITE CORPORATION
PORT CHESTER, NEW YORK, U.S.A.
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 10045C
YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 3.55 cu. in. (58.2 cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 1.8125 in. (46 mm)
PISTON STROKE: 1.375 in. (34.9 mm)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Reed valves
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 3.33 SAE @ 7,500 RPM
WEIGHT : 13 lbs. 14 oz. (6.3 kg) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Breaker point or electronic
CARBURETOR: Tillotson HS-4D, HS-142A
Walbro SDC
Zama
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: RK-23HS for HS-4D
MINOR REPAIR KIT: DG-5HS/T for HS-4D
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Cellulose fiber element
STARTER TYPE: Homelite automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic with manual override
OPERATING RPM: 6,000, 10,000 to 10,500 no load
IGNITION TIMING: 30 degrees before TDC. Mount stator as far clockwise as it will go on breaker point systems.
BREAKER POINT SETTING: 0.015 in. (0.38 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP: fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Champion CJ6
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.025 in. (0.63 mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Caged needle roller
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 24.2 oz. (716 ml)
FUEL OIL RATIO: 32:1 with Homelite oil
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Homelite chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: 3/8 in.
CHAIN TYPE: Homelite38 Raker III and Oregon 72
BAR MOUNT PATTERN: 14 link
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 16 in. (40 cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 24 in. (61 cm)
COLOUR SCHEME: Homelite Red enamel

Ive got a red one, definately a very well loved saw I'd say by everyone, they sold a #### ton of them, run good, no antivibe or safety features on mine :clap: bare bones old school iron. I use mine A LOT! got it for free off my neighbor sat in his barn for 10yrs, cleaned the air filter, wiped the chassis down sloshed new fuel through the tanks to clean them fueled it up and voila runs like she did new. I love the sound of em.

Love em

I agree with the others they are a loud, strong, vibrate you, type of saw. Not everyones choice but I really like mine.:cheers:

Thanks for the info and feedback guys. I'm an idiot when it comes to computers, but I'll see if I can figure out how to post a couple pics of the saw.

Does anyone know the approximate horsepower of the XL Auto?

well, i picked up one ultra cheap the the other day. it looks good, except for the clutch cover--which is in two pieces. hope to find another.

put fuel in it once. it all ran out. damminent. so it's on the back burner until i find another one for parts and such. leaky fuel, busted cover, spark? compression feels good, bar and chain look great. love that filter the whole carb compartment approach to air cleaning.

would like to hear it run...oh wait there's utube.

<object width="176" height="144" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/97936711228" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/97936711228" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="176" height="144"></embed></object>

This is with it how I got it, tuned the carb back a bit after this was shot, revvin too high for my liking.

Super Xl AO

I just fixed my dads super xl, it is a red edition, he has had the saw for almost 30 years. It had 130 psi of comp, so i felt the need to repair it. Put a new coil on it and it cuts like a beast, love the saw and love old homelites. Shows what a real mans saw looks like.

I have an XL automatic, runs great. I just finished a top end rebuild, port and polish and am in the middle of building an expansion chamber for it. I also have an xL 12 which has never had anything done, not even a carb rebuild. It was my dads I still remember when he got it back in the mid 1970's. That thing still runs prefect.

Last edited:
Gotta love these saws my grandpa has 5 red xl's and one blue and white one that's awaiting a electronic ignition swap. He always says the ol blue is probably the best running saw he has.... When it's running haha damn old ignition

I like Homelite Super XL's as much as I like old threads, good to see the classics reborn. Here is a video of one I put together today from a few different saws including a blue and white XL-12.
[video=youtube;GPxq1EDpTBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPxq1EDpTBA[/video]

like the super XL Auto

I just repaired one of these saws for an elder at my church. It was his father's saw and he was delighted to get it back in running condition. These saws are built like tanks and run like one too. One pull and it's "game on"! :msp_thumbup:

I have the blue and white Super XL-12

I could have got the orange one (which everyone here is calling the red) but the guy I got it from had the blue one running so I got the blue/white with 24" bar and good chain for $55 here in Sacramento. Wanted a Stihl but when I saw the prices for a new Stihl I figured after paying that much plus 8% tax I would have a heart attack. I got mine because it has a 24" bar which might be a little too much bar but the local power company has decided they need to remove 2 big trees from a lot I own. I stood back and looked at these 2 trees and guestimated they must be over 100' tall which gave me a minor heart attack. It was then I realized my friend's 42cc Poulan which I fixed into a zippy little saw would be dead before all the cutting was done. I told the forester if they cut one branch off a tree to cut the entire tree down. One thing I can't tolerate is a half cut tree or a toothpick tree. He actually agreed with me so they are going to cut the trees into 8' to 16' sections which is great because now I will not have to look for climbing gear and learn to climb at age 56. How you people can do this is flat out amazing to me. I have been chainsawing off and on for over 30 years but this will be my biggest project. Usually when I take out big trees I give them away. Since real estate is kind of slow right now to say the least, I am now going into the Pine firewood business which I can tell you after cutting a cord from stuff left over from the last power company pruning job is dang hard work. Of course I knew this before from previous cutting but it seems to me wet wood is now heavier than it used to be. I also bought a 20" 50cc McCulloch Titan for $20 which I am starting to hate with a passion but I am big buddies with the guy that has the lawn mower repair shop across the street from where I live so I am able to aggravate him with it. But that's another story and will be eventually be posting on my McCulloch Titan experience. I own a smaller McCulloch that still runs but the chain cover decided to split into 2 pieces and it is too dinky anyhow.
So the big question is: What's better the Blue or what looks to me to be the Orange one?

The super XL automatic in blue/white and red are the same saw. Red was made a little later that's all. If you had an XL-12 then it would be manual only oiler and 54cc. The supers had auto oiling and 58cc and some came without points depending on the manufacturing date.

Good running saws, loud as hell and built like a tank!

Good to know

I figured red might be newer. Would have preferred newer but in my case the blue one was the one the guy started up. If I had known this I would have made him start up the red one. Should have made him really work for that $55 ! Maybe the red would have had problems and he would have had to pull till the cord was on fire-( I read this on a post and thought was quite funny) !!
I would like to say I can't wait till the trees are down but the truth is I am happy to wait forever. Going to check Tuesday........
You people are saw experts

Red doesn't have to mean newer when you're talking XL-12/SXL/XLA/XL-15/SXL-12 saws...

offbrands002-1.jpg

offbrands001-2.jpg

This is my early production XL-15. Older than many blue/white XL-12/XLA/Super XL-12 saws, including three of mine. Homelite played with the colors quite a bit over the decades. A Super XL-12 is 58cc with manual oiler only. The XL-A was sold as both 55cc and 58cc. They were built with auto oilers only (with a screw in plug in place of the manual oiler pump), but dealers could install the manual oiler pump before selling the saw. My 1965 dated IPL states this. A Super XL Automatic (or SXL-AO) will be 58cc with both manual and auto oilers. Some XL-Automatic saws were red/white/green. Many variations over the years. The XL-15 seems to be an early XL-12 (55cc and manual oiler) sold through hardware stores. Acres lists it as being a gear drive, but that's incorrect. There was an add on gear drive unit (replaced the clutch cover, like on a C-series saw), and an "XL Automatic Gear Drive" saw that was sold with this unit. That's in my 1965 XL Automatic Gear Drive, XL Automatic Direct Drive, Super XL IPL. My XL-15 has a replacement clutch cover, so I wonder if it was sold with the add on gear drive unit (and it was later replaced with the DD cover). Who knows. I don't have the saw in my posession yet (a friend has it), so I haven't had a chance to look at the clutch parts to see if there's anything leftover from a gear drive setup....

Last edited:
Back