Husky 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont own one but my buddies dad has had his for 12 years. It has never given him a problem and they heat by wood. He uses it almost every weekend during the winter to heat the house (lots of dead standing trees). I have the new 455 rancher and i offered to trade him lets put it that way.

Great little saws. I have a 51 and a 55, they are dead solid reliable, well balanced and fast cutting firewood saws. The 51 is open port, and maxxed out with an 18" bar .325 set-up, it would do better with 16".

The 55 is closed port, and quite a bit stronger than the 51, very well suited to an 18" .325 bar/chain.

They are not a "Pro" models, but are built on a split magnesium case, excellent anti-vibe, relatively light and well balanced.

There are always scores of them on Ebay that can be had quite reasonable.....Cliff
attachment.php

Last edited:
I picked up a 55 a couple months back and did a little port work on it. Man does it run good and has a lot of torque for a 51cc saw. There were two versions of the 55 a closed port 51cc version with a windowed piston and there was a 53cc version that was an open port with a full skirt piston aftermarket parts are easier to find for the 53cc version.

I picked up a 55 a couple months back and did a little port work on it. Man does it run good and has a lot of torque for a 51cc saw. There were two versions of the 55 a closed port 51cc version with a windowed piston and there was a 53cc version that was an open port with a full skirt piston aftermarket parts are easier to find for the 53cc version.

I have the open port version, it's a high RPM low torque saw with fair power. It's built good except the carb mounting screws screw into plastic and strip out easy. Steve

I have the 55 Rancher - 53cc job. Non modded. Bought it new back in high school about 8 years ago. I've cut tons of wood with it, and it won't stop. It's my go-to saw and always starts no matter how cold.

I know it is not a pro-saw, but I run it like one. Biggest tree I've cut with it was a 30'' Black Oak, and it did fine. I've flushed many stumps with it, and noodled plenty of big rounds. Just keeps going. I keep the filter clean, the chain sharp, and use quality oil. Definitely not as fast as a pro-saw, but a great all around machine.

I still run the 3/8 pitch chain, and even though it has the 20'' bar on it, she still does good. I know the narrow kerf stuff is better, but if you keep the 3/8 good and sharp, it does pretty good. Someday I will buy the .325 for it, but too lazy right now.

Peter

Stihl 056 Magnum II (milling saw)
Husqvarna 55 Rancher (firewood/everything)
Shindaiwa 360 (trimming, limbing, etc)

I bought my 55 about 10 years ago. In that time I've probably cut about 50-60 chords with it. It has only had a muffler mod for about 2 years now and with a sharp chain will almost keep up with my 039. In smaller stuff my 346xp will will out-run it, but in bigger stuff it leaves the 346 behind. It's been pretty low maintenance and always reliable. I love my other saws too' but I've never regretted buying that saw and it has paid for itself many times over. One of the better 50cc class saws I've ever used. That said, if you buy one used and the previous owner didn't maintain it well, look out.

My father has a husky 55 and loves it. He has probably had that saw since the mid 90's and has never had a problem with it. Actually he left today with it to go cut a few blow downs at his place up in Maine.

So a 346xp wouldn't hang with that saw in bigger wood? I'm still considering picking up a xp.

Worked on a 55 for a friend awhile ago. It was the filthiest, gummed-upped-est, most unidentifiable pile of whatsit I have ever seen. All he could tell me about it as he handed it to me with a hangdog expression was "It won't start". I tore it down, cleaned it up, re-gapped the coil, and it ran on the first rip. Evidently the sawdust/bar oil mung in the recoil housing was preventing spark. My verdict: solid machine. If I find one for the right price, I'll bring it home.

Just picked a 55 up for $100 from an old tree service guy. Runs well. Got a new chain on the way, the one on it was rocked pretty bad. Really didn't need another saw, but it was 1 owner and in real good shape. 20" bar. Gonna sell my 028 that I hardly use. About same weight and more power with the 55. Bonus chain brake.

Back