scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
Reaction score
Got the saw in today, started a thread "look what i got bla bla bla". Its a bit rough but not terrible. Lot's of pictures, might wanna grab a few beers.

CIMG1700.jpg

CIMG1701.jpg

CIMG1702.jpg

CIMG1703.jpg

CIMG1704.jpg

CIMG1705.jpg

Last edited:
What a mess, took me 10min to cut/crack it off, was melted to the white part.

CIMG1708.jpg

melted a bit

CIMG1710.jpg

CIMG1711.jpg

had to cut and break this off.

CIMG1712.jpg

Last edited:
This look like he slapped it on there without runnign it. actually clean

CIMG1713.jpg

CIMG1714.jpg

CIMG1715.jpg

looks like it got a bit warm.

CIMG1716.jpg

CIMG1718.jpg

Last edited:
no dishwasher...

CIMG1719.jpg

Not even broken.

CIMG1720.jpg

CIMG1721.jpg

CIMG1723.jpg

CIMG1724.jpg

Last edited:
I will see how this cleans up and how bad the crack is.

CIMG1730.jpg

CIMG1730.jpg

CIMG1732.jpg

CIMG1733.jpg

Last edited:
thats it? i didnt even finish my beer

Was the guy slabbing rolls of lead at a foundry with that thing?

patience, the saw was in a truck fire, supposedly ran 3 months until it died... cylinder was lose, boot was off and clutch side seal was long gone. Look at all the crud and inside the carb and filter was the same thing.

Last edited:
The crank is also shot... rod bearing is looser then.... something...

SO i need a crank, mind as well get new bearings and a seal kit.
My redneck sandblaster is just about done just waiting on some parts and my powder coater is on its way.

I have a couple ovens i can go pick up for free, so ill have to add another 30amp to my packed box...

If anyone has a-
crank
P/c
tank/handle
B/C cover
3/4 wrap elbow
ill order from dealer-
seal kit
lines
carb nuts

send me a PM

Ill split case tomorrow and track down some glass bead to blast the case. What should i put on the gasket surfaces so I don't damage them? or blast the case in one piece with crank and cylinder slot plugged?

Last edited:
I'd toss it and start with something a little less burnt to a crisp, honestly it's gonna be a money pit and you're gonna need to replace 85% of the parts anyway.

Looks like a normal work saw minus the multiple issues that she had with heat!

If your tank isent leaky & the mount holes arent wallowed out, id try & get her going. If so, looks like you have extre parts..

i dunno it might be worth bringing back from the dead.

theres a new 046 bottom end on eby stuffed with crank in it already for 185.

i think the aftermarket cranks are bout 100 bucks then 70 for sealsn bearings. then 150 for a handle and maybe 30-50 bucks for plastic, looks like the recoil is good

I'd toss it and start with something a little less burnt to a crisp, honestly it's gonna be a money pit and you're gonna need to replace 85% of the parts anyway.

i dunno it might be worth bringing back from the dead.

theres a new 046 bottom end on eby stuffed with crank in it already for 185.

i think the aftermarket cranks are bout 100 bucks then 70 for sealsn bearings. then 150 for a handle and maybe 30-50 bucks for plastic, looks like the recoil is good

Ill take my time and accumulate parts. I don't need new plastics or handle. I can live with them for now after i clean up that jb hacked weld.

All i need is crank and cylinder for good price. Ill keep my eye out

Looks like a diamond in the rough to me. Reminds me of the burned 044 I have. Keep on keepin on! :cheers:

I agree. How about some kind of epoxy and slather that stuff with a stiff business card on the chard handle and crack. Then sand it the best you can. Paint it white.

Back