Got the "scrap" 041G running - with video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well after pulling the plug last night and discovering a cylinder that wasn't seized at all but instead full of bar oil, my hopes ran high all day at work. Tonight I flushed the cylinder liberally with gasoline to dissolve any remaining oil, pulled it over dozens of times, and drained the oil from the reservoir to prevent more getting in. I'm pretty sure the oiler O-ring seal has failed but I haven't checked it out yet. I'm planning on doing it tonight since I have two spares and would like to take it to work tomorrow to bury in a big Fir log that's down on the jobsite.

After reinstalling the plug, it started on the FIRST PULL. It didn't stay running for long and smoked like George Burns, and it took a few more squirts straight down the carb throat to get it really cleaned out. At first it was acting like it had a wicked air leak; idle was all over the place and it kept wanting to stall. I was going to chalk this up to the failed oiler, but I've had other saws with old carbs do this for a bit and then work themselves out after a while, so I just kept it half choked and about 2/3 throttle, and after maybe a minute it started to even out. After it warmed up I was able to set the carb so it held a really nice even idle - it never stalled for at least 10 minutes. It's a little slow on the throttle response, though 041s are in general due to heavier rotational mass and lower RPM in general. The gear drive might have something to do with it, as may the carb, which I'm going to rebuild ASAP.

Anyway it was dark after I got home from work, but I busted out the 500W Halogen lamp and grabbed the biggest Pine firewood round I had closest to the house to make some noodles. Keep in mind also that this is the 3/8" chain that was on it when I found it, which I never sharpened since it literally looks brand new, and that these are the very first cuts I made with it - no testing before the trial run video!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0O006Iv989A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0O006Iv989A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My camera battery died halfway through what would be the next cut, which is why it kinda ends abruptly. I did let it idle down and sit for a while after, but that didn't get recorded. :mad:

Last edited:
hey congrats to getting her running again nice to see old saws come to life again. rep on the way

Them geared suckahs are noodle MONSTERS! Nice to see that old girl running.:clap:

Yeah but you really have to use the spikes to get it cutting well. Not like my 371 which will just fall through the wood under its own weight!

I should note that I deliberately shut off and restarted it in the video, just to show it.

Truly a great find and it seems to be running quite well! Good job! I have one that has never seen gas or oil. Now that I've seen yours run, I'm tempted to change that predicament, really!:cheers:

i was gonna say, put a 42'' on her roll on. But Jacob as allready spoken the 42''... I think you are a bad assed timber faller when you got some small ass saw pullin a big bar like for example a mid 60 cc saw pullin a 42''. . . That kinda leads you to believe that the man behind the saw is a pro, a pro of pros. Like racing, the man with the most advanced machinery is the winner.
to thoes old dudes runnin the 041gs that J was talking about, I bet the speed of their saw wasent a big factor in their production factor.Them old timers, You watch em work for 30 minutes & think, "dang, he is showin his age, gettin old & slow...", but at the end of the day after you have long past that moment of thinking the old timer was slow, he has gone and out worked you by a fair margin. Say a load. Them old timers got all kinds of tricks, mostly smarts, that get them ahead. the 041g was just one of there secret weapons of back when. While the young gun full of DO is runnin the 075, the old timer is toting around a 1/2 scale version, carrying 1/2 the fuel, getting more done.

Kind of my imaginitave view of "this old saw".

Got the oiler taken care of (I think). The one I put in came from an old case that used to house my Super topend, and seemed to work fine then. I haven't refilled the oil reservoir yet to make sure. I think it did the trick though, because the saw seemed to be idling a bit richer after the switch, and I needed to re-tune it a bit.

I also gave it a light blowdown and a wipedown with Varsol, got rid of the ugly torn handle rubber, and gave the lettering on the side cover the ol' Sharpie treatment. And, of course, took some more pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was planning on doing a pretty thorough teardown on this thing; however I'm one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" folks and I think I'll leave well enough alone. I'll probably re-do all the gaskets in the intake stack, and maybe remove and polish the muffler, but other than that I don't see much reason to pull it apart. It's running phenomenally well, especially considering the circumstances, and so far seems better than the other running 041 engines I have. It also has incredible compression. It takes about 12 seconds for it to drop one revolution if held by the starter handle. I realize it had been locked up with oil, but I'm pretty sure it burned that out with the half tank of fuel I've run through it so far.

I can't really explain how happy I am to have this thing in my collection and especially the way it came to be. I think it might just beat the 090 as my favorite now. I'm going to take it to my dealer tomorrow just to see what they think of it and to see if they can find me some handlebar hose for it.

Brad thats just fantastic and all the better that you had the good fortune to pick it up as you did, you give a lot of good advice on here and over on milling so it's nice to see a good thing happening to a good guy.

What a cool story!!! The saw is great looking and seems to run just fine....congrats!!!

That the way a good saw story is supposed to end. I'm glad everything turned out to be ok, and you ended up with a great running saw. I kind of reminds me of my 5-10G.

That is absolutely awesome. I can only imagine you're elation with finding something thrown away, and then having it turn out like this. Then the fact that it's a rare and valuable model on top of that. Doesn't get any better than that! Congratulations!

I can't really explain how happy I am to have this thing in my collection and especially the way it came to be.

I can imagine. I am like Wall-E, the little robot in the movie, always collecting junk :biggrinbounce2:. Once in a while I collect a treasure (sawing machines, type writers, scales, etc) but never a chainsaw. Hoping to find a chainsaw one day!

Back