Stihl 034av oil pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdingus

Reaction score
I bought two saws at auction One is a ms360 that runs great but dont seem to be getting any oil on chain.The other is a 034av that also runs great but the clutch blew apart and broke the oil hose nipple at the pump asmy.The local stihl dealer said that stihl does not sell parts for the 034av any more. Any help with these problems would be great...

First of all, welcome to AS. Second, find a new dealer. Most if not all parts for the 034 are still avalible. The 360 oiling problem, I would first look and see if the oil line from the pump to the case has a hole in it. They are known for this on the 034 036 and 360. You also want to see if the wire from the oil gear is sticking out far enough for the sprocket drum to drive the gear.

There should be no problem getting oil pump (or any) parts for your 034. As a matter of fact, many parts between the 034 and 360 are interchangeable, if not exactly the same. I believe the oil pump is one of those parts.

If the saw isn't oiling at all, check the filter in the tank and the oil pump drive gear that runs off the clutch. If oil is pouring out from behind the clutch, but not making it too the bar, then it could be as simple as the oil line being cut or broken. It is common on these saws for the clutch bearings to wear and then the clutch cuts into the oil line.

If the saw has had a lot of use, the oil pump internal clearances will become too great and it won't pump anywhere but out from behind the oil pump gear. The pump will need replaced at this point.

Those are great saws and worth putting a few $$ in to get them running right. I just went through my 034S and replaced the whole oiling system. It was well under $100 for the pump, inlet hose, filter and drive gear. No problems getting it.

Yep, that dealer probably didnt even look. All parts are still available. The 360 and 034 pumps may be different, but should interchange. The 360 pump has more adjustability than a basic 034 pump.

I just put an 034AV together and had checked the part number for the pump with my dealer. They were a little pricey ($70) so I made mine work, but they're definitely available.

The part number for the whole assembly is 1125 640 3201. You may need the plastic worm gear too (PN: 1125 640 7110).

If the dealer really told you that Stihl doesn't sell parts for them any more, they are complete idiots.

Some early 034's don't have an adjustable pump. There is no hole in the case either for the adjuster screw. I have ground and drilled a few cases to make the adjustable pump fit. It may weaken the case in those areas though.

when you get that 34 going you will LOVE it. Ive ran one with 325 and a 20 in. bar. that setup HAULS!! If you got a sharp chain youll mess your pants the first time in the wood. I just about did had i not already ran a 441 with a 20.

stihl 034 oil pump

Thanks guys. I went to a another dealer and they had all my parts in stock except the clutch retainers,but they ordered them for me. My compression is a little low,it is at 120.psi. Dont now to much about chain saw motors,but am a auto tech for 25 years.Is this something i could fix with rings and piston?I got 170 psi when i added oil in the cylinder.Thanks jim...

Back