stihl 066 rebuild. W/pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
Reaction score
Got this saw for another project. Its goign to be on the shelf for a few until the 046 is done. Got it from a member here, hope they chime in soon. They didn't even have any posts but sent me a lot of pictures and made me feel comfortable sending the money. They packed it very well, it was like Christmas all over again! Goes to show there are good people out there!

Its already torn down and cleaned up thanks to them!! :bowdown::yourock:

Took a couple pictures. I think ill leave it up to AS, shoudl this be a full rebuild? blast it and powder it? Lots of work but I'm sure it would be worth it. I Am also debating if I want to mill with it....

CIMG1878.jpg

CIMG1879.jpg

CIMG1880.jpg

CIMG1881.jpg

CIMG1882.jpg

I say go with a full mechanical re-build. Bearings, seals, p/c?, etc. Of the few saws I have re-built I only painted my first one. It was so pretty I didn't want to use it, and my paint work doesn't hold a candle to the work you do.

glad you liked it!! it was an ease to do business with you! :clap:

FYI, i priced a p/c kit and a seals and gasket kit before i sold the saw to you...i think he priced it to me for around $325 if i remember right. he gives GREAT deals. not sure what parts cost where you are but if that helps, let me know! don't quote me on that price.... i may be wrong:confused:

I say go with a full mechanical re-build. Bearings, seals, p/c?, etc. Of the few saws I have re-built I only painted my first one. It was so pretty I didn't want to use it, and my paint work doesn't hold a candle to the work you do.

Thanks

Definitely is getting full mechanical, crank bearings, seals etc...

here is the story on the P&C

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=126981

glad you liked it!! it was an ease to do business with you! :clap:

FYI, i priced a p/c kit and a seals and gasket kit before i sold the saw to you...i think he priced it to me for around $325 if i remember right. he gives GREAT deals. not sure what parts cost where you are but if that helps, let me know! don't quote me on that price.... i may be wrong:confused:

You da man!
Ya an oem P&C aint cheep $350 around. Baileys seal kits look good and are 1/2 price. I think I have a lead on another cylinder if it cleans up. And it will probably get a Meteor form Baileys.

also, what'd you think of that piston?!?! crazy sh*t, huh?!

Ya, I'm goign to have to look at it really good in the light and see what let lose. I might send it to Brad and see if he can clean it up and run it. That would be pretty cool to see.

---i just wanted to make it clear to everyone(matt, you already know this) it was NOT me that caused this. i purchased the saw along with a running 660 in the non-working condition...

Ya, I'm goign to have to look at it really good in the light and see what let lose. I might send it to Brad and see if he can clean it up and run it. That would be pretty cool to see.

hell, you shoulda said something! lol. he lives about 45 mins. from me. i live east of cincinnati, he lives north. coulda saved you some time! can't wait to see what you do with it, though

hell, you shoulda said something! lol. he lives about 45 mins. from me. i live east of cincinnati, he lives north. coulda saved you some time! can't wait to see what you do with it, though

I had no clue any of these nuts would ever want to run it again LOL

Shipping wont be much for a jug.

anyone got a decent 066 P&C? This saw sat in the box long enough.

Last edited:
i meant to say cylinder.... ill probably get a meteor from baileys unless someone has both.
They show up on the bay from time to time, usually go for about $50 or more.

By the time you shell out $50 for a jug and $40 for a Meteor, you might as well get a Bailey's BB kit instead. The usual BB disclaimer applies -- inspect the upper bore very, very carefully before installing. If you get one with a good bore, they do make good power.

Or just make me an offer for your box of parts. :laugh:

I bought a 460 BB recently. It looked tip top. Plating went all the way. very little casting flash. ports beveled nice. Smaller combustion chamber than the oem Mahle. No complaints. Makes noticeably more power

Back