Repairing damaged tread on 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEP

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Repairing damaged threads on 346

Hi

A couple of days ago one of my 346's lost one of the muffler bolts. Unfortunately it took the threads with it when it left.

This is how I repaired it:

Recoil1.jpg

Recoil2.jpg

Recoil3.jpg

Recoil4.jpg

Recoil5.jpg

Last edited:
there are still trees in Denmark, who would of thunk
good job with the heli coil

Good Job. :clap:
I heli coiled one of the two spark plug threads that had stripped out in a used 45hp outboard motor, worked fine until I sold it 10 years later.

Sure, but can you explain why this happened in the first place? :confused:

No I can't. :confused:

I didn't hear mine go loose, I just saw it drop to the ground. :cry:

We had quite a few OE346 at the school witch lost their muffler bolts, but the only rattled loose, they never took the threads with them :dizzy:

We never had this problem with NE346.

No I can't. :confused:

I didn't hear mine go loose, I just saw it drop to the ground. :cry:

We had quite a few OE346 at the school witch lost their muffler bolts, but the only rattled loose, they never took the threads with them :dizzy:

We never had this problem with NE346.

Well, checking that those (and other) bolts are snug is a natural part of routine "weekly" maintenance, and I think the user manual say that quite clearly!

However, I routinely fail to do it, as many others do, but I never had a mishap........:popcorn:

Well, checking that those (and other) bolts are snug is a natural part of routine "weekly" maintenance, and I think the user manual say that quite clearly!

However, I routinely fail to do it, as many others do, but I never had a mishap........:popcorn:

I always check and tighten up the muffler bolts "weekly" while the saw is new and the assume they will say in place. This one is the first one to fail me.
:buttkick:

I'd better check more often in the future.

I always check and tighten up the muffler bolts "weekly" while the saw is new and the assume they will say in place. This one is the first one to fail me.
:buttkick:

I'd better check more often in the future.

At least it looks like we agree on one thing - leave the dawgs/bark support off the saws! They are only in the way on 50 and 60cc saws! :)

At least it looks like we agree on one thing - leave the dawgs/bark support off the saws! They are only in the way on 50 and 60cc saws! :)

:laugh: We agree on that.

And actually we agree on most things i'm sure.
I'm like you very conscious on power to weight ratio. We agree on bar chain combos, except for the 13" witch I prefer for some work and not for others.
We are both obsessed infomaniacs.

I'm quite sure our small differences in opinion are details and mostly come from different experiences and usage of chainsaws.

i use blue lock tite and never had a problem

when i was in Denmark 15 years ago, was in Tastrup (sp) and there were no tress there just flat lands

:popcorn:

12% of the land is covered with forests, its not much but still some.

And Taastrup is flat thats right, most of the country is, a lot of small hills but the highest point is only 173 meters above sea level.

Last edited:
:popcorn:

12% of the land is covered with forests, its not much but still some.

And Taastrup is flat thats right, most of the country is, a lot of small hills but the highest point is only 173 meters above sea level.

love it there
i was just having fun with you.

I've had the same problem with my oe346 (it was already when i bought it, but find it when i took of the muffler for inspection of the p/c)

I have taped m6 thread and, drill out the holes in the muffler and ad bolts that so long the come out of the thread. now hoping it will stay where it is.

Back