Straight gassed 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is this straight gassed 044 cylinder still good?I used the acid and sand paper on it and the only bad spot is the two lines in the top left running from the side of the exhaust port to the squash band.I can feel them when I run my finger nail over them.The first two pics are before the acid and the last two are after.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Sorry about the poor pics.

Last edited:
more of a concern than saving your piston is... did your bearings get lunched?

just did a super low hours 026 that was straight gassed.
toasted the piston... worked on cylinder and got it looking really good.
but piston to cylinder tolerances was way too loose.
ended up replacing with new piston & liner set.

carefully inspect your bearing from all available viewing angles.
what you are looking for is intact bearing cages. if cages are still intact, then odds are your bearings are still good.

sure hope you don't have to split your case.

You would lose a little compression through them but with a good piston and rings that cylinder would run for a few more years again. I have seen worse ones cut 40-50 cords of wood and still be running.
Pioneerguy600

Is this straight gassed 044 cylinder still good?I used the acid and sand paper on it and the only bad spot is the two lines in the top left running from the side of the exhaust port to the squash band.I can feel them when I run my finger nail over them.The first two pics are before the acid and the last two are after.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Sorry about the poor pics.

you mentioned you used acid, what does that do cleaning wise, and what kind do you use?

more of a concern than saving your piston is... did your bearings get lunched?

just did a super low hours 026 that was straight gassed.
toasted the piston... worked on cylinder and got it looking really good.
but piston to cylinder tolerances was way too loose.
ended up replacing with new piston & liner set.

carefully inspect your bearing from all available viewing angles.
what you are looking for is intact bearing cages. if cages are still intact, then odds are your bearings are still good.

sure hope you don't have to split your case.

This is a very important point that should not be missed!:clap: In addition to inspecting the actual bearing, check the crankcase and the inside of the muffler for small black plastic pieces which would indicate a disintegrated bearing cage.

Latest posts

Back