Stihl 029 super issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidiro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up this saw knowing it did not run. Hoping that I don't need piston work. I do not have a compression tester but I pulled the muffler shined a light and everything looks smooth. I pulled the plug and it looks smooth from that angle as well. There is some carbon on top of piston, but should be normal. It feels like it has enough compression to at least run poorly. I can pull the whole saw up by the pull start and try to yo-yo it and still holds good.

When it's completely cold I can get it to run on full choke for about 5 secs or so then it dies. I then try over and over again with no start. I then pull the plug and it's soaked in fuel. I have done this more times with the same results of soaked plug.

Could it be carb rebuild time or piston rings or just a professional carb adjustment? Plug has spark but could that also go bad once it heats up some? That would be nice to just have to change a plug and it gets fixed, I'll do it anyway but need some options to start with.

I assume you switch off the choke after it "runs five seconds and dies" before pulling on the starter again... ???

I assume you switch off the choke after it "runs five seconds and dies" before pulling on the starter again... ???

Yes, just like my ms390.

I get it to run on full choke for about 5 sec then it dies, I then switch it to half choke and cannot get it started at all.

I have also got it to run on full choke and then I switch it to NO choke and still nothing. I pull over and over with nothing. I then pulled the plug and soaked still. I have to wait about an hour until it completely cools off again with the plug out to get it to run a little again.

Could the 5 second run time cause the cylinder/piston to expand enough to lose compression. Should I get a gauge on it to get compression reading. Or is the flooded plug more of a carb issue?

Last edited:
I was just trying to rule out the obvious.

My first instinct is always a carb cleanout, although it looks like it's staying too rich to me, which is weird. Can you see that the choke butterfly is opening correctly?

Check your carb settings, then lean out the L, and then try again.
If that doesn't work you might have to tear into the carb.
Don't worry about compression.

Have you replaced the fuel lines on both saws?

No, have not done that. Should that be a priority?

I'm only having the issue with the new to me 029 Super not the ms390. I was just saying that I do the same thing to try and start this 029 that I do with the ms390. MS390 starts like it should.

I just went outside to make another attempt to see the outcome. I pulled over and over on full choke and nothing this time. I pulled the plug and not soaked. Poured some mix fuel directly into plug replaced plug and fired right up until that fuel burned out. I don't get it, earlier today plug looked fouled and now it seems there is no fuel delivery. Maybe I should look at the fuel line more closely tomorrow.

Check your carb settings, then lean out the L, and then try again.
If that doesn't work you might have to tear into the carb.
Don't worry about compression.

I'm no professional on adjusting carbs. This will be my first attempt to figure out how one is adjusted.

There is a H which says to turn 3/4, so I turn it in all the way and back it out about 3/4

The L is 1/4 turn so I tighten that as well all the way in and back it out about 1/4

Then there is the idle adj that I turned in farther than it was in hopes that if it started it would not die because of low idle.

The compression seems strong enough for saw to at least start and run poorly.

Could be your inlet needle valve is sticking open.

Sorry, I didn't read all of post 7. Gas line as Dr. said most likely.

Could be the inlet needle valve is stuck shut. Or gunk on the screen in the carb.

First thing I'd eliminate (or confirm) before going any further: FUEL LINE. Have done three 029 fuel lines in this last year alone. Every single one had a split just above the grommet where the line exits the fuel tank.

My saw, and the two friend saws that I fixed, would do the same thing. Would start fine on choke, maybe start on high idle (or not) and die off. Generally the choke position is used just to get the saw to "pop", then kick it up one notch to high idle and pull again. If you were pulling to get it to run on Choke, that's why your plug would look snotty.

Not saying there couldn't be other things, but check/change that fuel line first. Invest in a new filter while your at it, cheap, easy insurance. Good luck.

OK, the new fuel line will be my first attempt for a fix since carb rebuild is going to be a first time thing for me. I guess that is going to be next to attempt the fix. Thanks for getting me started on this.

Check screen on muffler!!

I agree with the screen inside the carb and a new kit is $9.00 try that comes with new screen. Also go to muffler and check the screen inside as mine had same problem with mega gas on the spark plug, pulled the screen off and cleaned it and it ran like new...dam screen. I always think carb when my saw is not running right but that's not always the case but a breathing issue so check both sides.

I went ahead and bought a new fuel line($9) at stihl dealer. Pulled the old one out and before I put the new one I cleaned the old one good and looked for cracks and there are none visible but will replace it with the new one anyway.

Since I had the carb out to do the line I pulled the bottom part of carb off, where the little screen is, and found no gasket between carb and cover. It's as if the previous owner tried to rebuild it and forgot the gasket as the screen looks really clean and solid. I never did a rebuild so I don't know what is involved but it should include that missing gasket.

Looks like a carb kit is next. This carb is a Walbro and these are the numbers that are stamped throughout it, on the body itself and the bottom cover. On the bottom cover it has # 21-477 2-8 On the body it has #18B & 915 Made in Japan, don't know if they all are. Again, this is for a 029 Super. Is there a different carb kit between 029 and 029 super?

My local stihl dealer wants $20 for the carb kit and there are some kits on ebay for $9 like it was said in previous posts. Will the ebay kit fit mine as well?

Thanks to all for helping me get this fixed.

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought a new fuel line($9) at stihl dealer. Pulled the old one out and before I put the new one I cleaned the old one good and looked for cracks and there are none visible but will replace it with the new one anyway.

Since I had the carb out to do the line I pulled the bottom part of carb off, where the little screen is, and found no gasket between carb and cover. It's as if the previous owner tried to rebuild it and forgot the gasket as the screen looks really clean and solid. I never did a rebuild so I don't know what is involved but it should include that missing gasket.

Looks like a carb kit is next. This carb is a Walbro and these are the numbers that are stamped throughout it, on the body itself and the bottom cover. On the bottom cover it has # 21-477 2-8 On the body it has #18B & 915 Made in Japan, don't know if they all are. Again, this is for a 029 Super. Is there a different carb kit between 029 and 029 super?

My local stihl dealer wants $20 for the carb kit and there are some kits on ebay for $9 like it was said in previous posts. Will the ebay kit fit mine as well?

Thanks to all for helping me get this fixed.
Always nice to put your Stihl dealer to work it's hands on good service and you'll get the right part and nice to bring the carb in with you and if it's stock I just bite the bullet and feel good about an OEM part from the dealer.

The kits you listed on ebay are just gaskets and diaprams. The kit you get from your dealer is more than likely a complete kit which includes new needle and seat and gaskets, diaprams. Since the carb has been messed with I would order a complete kit and replace everything. More than likely you won't need to replace the welch plugs but I would put everything in new.

I had asked both of those sellers on ebay that I posted links earlier if it would work with my carb and the first to respond saying the kit would work for me was http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Walbro-...689?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0bb4e039 so I ordered it right away early this afternoon being that it was a genuine Walbro kit.

I also asked what kit included and the response was simply, everything is included to do a complete rebuild. I don't know what is included in a 'complete rebuild kit' but hope it works and everthing I need is there and if it doens't it will be lesson learned to just get it local next time.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that when I was at the dealer they had the Stihl saw case on sale for $20. I thought that was a good deal so I bought one for my ms390. The case fits 20" max blade.

I think if I get this 029 running good I'll go see if I can get another, seems like a good deal.

Hi all,

I had the same problem on a 023 and it was crankshaft seals who were dead ! It's not expensive parts, but need a bit of work if you don't have the tool.

Latest posts

Back