Husqvarna 65 / New to Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen -- I've been reading this forum for quite some time and only recently decided to register. I'm no professional saw man as are some of you, but I've used a few saws over the years (Homelite, Stihl, and, unfortunately, Poulan) for clearing brush and odd jobs around the house. One of the best saws we ever had in the family was a Homelite XL-12 that was made in the early 70s.

My question pertains to a Husqvarna 65 that has surfaced in our family. It's marked 65L and was made in Yugoslavia. My father-in-law recalls buying it sometime in the late 70s and cutting a heck of a lot of firewood with it back in those days before he put it away in the shed due to (1) its not wanting to start after it had been run a while and had gotten hot, (2) the pull-rope breaking, and (3) the family going from buring wood to propane heat years ago.

We got the saw out this past weekend to look it over. I've looked on-line, but parts seem to be scarce. Is this a model that's worth fixing up, or would that be a waste of time and money? What do any of you know about this model 65? Thanks.

I know a some.
If the saw say Husqvarna L65 on the plate, it is Sweden made. It changed the name to Tomos when they made it in Joguslavia by Tomos, then it was no longer a HVA.
I think you have a bad coil, check the spark when it won't start.
Change the starter rope.

This saw is best kept as collectors item, or sentimental values.

Thanks, SawTroll, for the parts list. That will be helpful if we decide to try to get this one back in working order.

The model 65, in its day, was a nice and fast 4 ci. saw. The problem with it not wanting to run after it gets hot is a vapor lock caused by the vent in the gas tank. To remedy this, unscrew the vent, located in the top of the tank, and remove the check ball and the roll pin in the vent. This can be done with a small punch. Replace the roll pin and be sure to replace the tube on the vent and route it to the clutch side of the saw, as it is supposed to be.
Dave

The fellow who I got the 5200 Poulan from today also had a Husqvarna 65 in the trunk. It was made in Yugoslavia and he said he bought it new. His asking price of $150 was too much for a saw I did not need.

Poulan5200004.jpg

Poulan5200006.jpg

Poulan5200007.jpg

The fellow who I got the 5200 Poulan from today also had a Husqvarna 65 in the trunk. It was made in Yugoslavia and he said he bought it new. His asking price of $150 was too much for a saw I did not need.

Poulan5200004.jpg

Poulan5200006.jpg

Poulan5200007.jpg

Especially with a broken handle, hard to get...

I had only seen pictures of 65's until last week. A guy brought me his old 65 to fix, that he had bought new in '79......The fuel system was nasty, but I cleaned the tank, replaced the line and filter, and gave it a carb kit and the thing ran beautifully! I took it home and cut some cookies before I gave it back to him, and I thought it was a pretty decent saw considering the age.....The owner loves it and was so happy that I made it run for him again!!

I'm suprised people say that they are just a collectors item. Parts availability would suck, but not a bad old saw to keep cutting with, IMHO.

I had only seen pictures of 65's until last week. A guy brought me his old 65 to fix, that he had bought new in '79......The fuel system was nasty, but I cleaned the tank, replaced the line and filter, and gave it a carb kit and the thing ran beautifully! I took it home and cut some cookies before I gave it back to him, and I thought it was a pretty decent saw considering the age.....The owner loves it and was so happy that I made it run for him again!!

I'm suprised people say that they are just a collectors item. Parts availability would suck, but not a bad old saw to keep cutting with, IMHO.

:agree2:

My BIL only cuts with the 65 his dad gave him now...

I just brought home a freebie one of these yesterday. It looks pretty good, but it'll have to sit a while (after tuna season) before I can give it a good looking over.
It was mentioned earlier that this thread is over 5 years old...now it's over 9 years old!

Well my 65 is still a 1 or 2 pull start and runs great so I say keep the thread alive!

I bought one in 1977 as did my neighbor. He still has the receipt for his $530, I think. Mine still runs. It was my only saw till 1991. The local dealer sold a lot of them around here. I still know where four runners are.

I really enjoy running my L65. The thing rips through logs like a 80cc saw. I really didn't see or feel much difference between that and my 380cd. I'd even put it up to a 372xp.

Back