Attention RG1631 owners!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally Stumped

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If you still have the original clutch on your Rayco RG 1631, you are on borrowed time. The other day, my clutch seized up and the rubber cover caught on fire. The truck and fire extinguisher were 50 yards away. Fortunately, the thing burned itself out rather quickly. The Rayco dealer said it was a very common problem and clutches were seizing up with anywhere from 10-50 hours on the meter. He had a kit on the shelf and I was back in business in no time with a new redesigned clutch-it now has a cooling fan and slotted cover plate.
Time and gas to get to the Rayco dealer...$150
Parts and labor for new clutch...$0
The look on my customer's face when the thing caught on fire...priceless

Same thing hapenned to me last week, fortunatelly the RAyco dealer is only about 15 minutes from my house. Took it there and they did the replacement and had me going in about 4 hours. It was covered under warranty, my dealer told me there is one more revision to be made, something a bout adding a 5th bearing, he said that when it happens they will change the old clutches weather or not you are still under warranty free of charge!

My rayco had about 35 hours when this hapenned lol

Dave, Dynamic chippers are well tested before they leave the factory ;)
This is a new 565 that is nearly finished. It chipped this 20" forked piece of poplar no problem. at least pushing a few huge bits of timber through a machine before it leaves the factory shows up any major faults :cool:

attachment_26687.php

Last edited:
Thats the thin end. the other end is a big crotch. here you go. oh and that thin end was 16", (measured with a yank tape measure.... ;) )

attachment_26704.php

Last edited:
If you still have the original clutch on your Rayco RG 1631, you are on borrowed time. The other day, my clutch seized up and the rubber cover caught on fire. The truck and fire extinguisher were 50 yards away. Fortunately, the thing burned itself out rather quickly. The Rayco dealer said it was a very common problem and clutches were seizing up with anywhere from 10-50 hours on the meter. He had a kit on the shelf and I was back in business in no time with a new redesigned clutch-it now has a cooling fan and slotted cover plate.
Time and gas to get to the Rayco dealer...$150
Parts and labor for new clutch...$0
The look on my customer's face when the thing caught on fire...priceless
Did rayco replace it for you, or did you do it your self

Latest posts

Back