Stihl 041 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a new one for me. I used the 041 to fall a tree the other day plus do some blocking. Shut down and chain was way loose. Tightened, refueled and found the oil tank empty. Hmm, thinks I, did I forget to fill it up? Proceeded to use it for a short bit and chain way loose again and looking dry. Yep, tank mostly empty again after only a few minutes cutting.

The saw does not leak oil when shut down, Just checked it on the wood pile and it does spray oil but chain looks VERY oily and oil dripping down bar where it exits the housing.

What would make it pump way more oil than called for, or leak oil only when running?

Harry K

Turn the saw over, look for a hole with a screw in the bottom, many stihl saws have the oil adjustment here. Look at your chain tension screw, is it bent or stripped? Have you cleaned it lately? Hope this helps.

Too much oil is uncommon as a "failure" , so as the prior poster suggested, check your adjuster (which is on TOP of the saw, not the bottom).

The most common oil leak on an 041 is the big rubber grommet that fits around the top of the pump. This allows oil to leak into the crank case, so if you not blowing smoke, then its probably O.K.. There are two internal o-rings insides the pump, but again, the oil leak it usually to the "inside" of the crankcase, not out to the bar/chain...

So, the bigger problem. If you have a small crankcase leak to the oil chamber, it's possible to pressurize the oil tank and force out oil. Usually though you see some leak back resulting in bad smoking...

Hmmm... I assume you are using real bar oil, not some thinner ordinary engine oil?

Yeah, I had just given the 041 a thorough bench cleaning, the adjuster is not stripped. It is not smoking more than normal. I tried again running it with the bar and chain off. Does seem to put out more oil than I would expect but nothing that would empty the tank in short order. The oil was only coming out the oil delivery port. I was wondering if there was a oiler adjustment on it and just where to look. Thanks. I will be checking. Don't really see how that could be the problem though as I have used this saw several times this spring with no trouble.

I am off to the wood lot again on Saturday. Won't need the 041 that day but will take it along and try it out. I am beginning to believe it is my imagination but that chain was almost dripping oil today while I was playing with it.

Harry K

The oiler adjuster on the 041 is an orange colored round knob on the top of the saw by the carb. Usually gotta take the air filter cover off to give it a turn. I had an 041, and I can't remember which way to turn the knob to adjust for more or less oil. I believe it is turned clockwise for more oil, counter clockwise for less. There is a "more - less" symbol on top of the knob. Easy adjustment. Those old 041's will put out quite a bit of oil when set to max output. Good luck... cool saw!

Gary

GASoline71 said:
The oiler adjuster on the 041 is an orange colored round knob on the top of the saw by the carb. Usually gotta take the air filter cover off to give it a turn. I had an 041, and I can't remember which way to turn the knob to adjust for more or less oil. I believe it is turned clockwise for more oil, counter clockwise for less. There is a "more - less" symbol on top of the knob. Easy adjustment. Those old 041's will put out quite a bit of oil when set to max output. Good luck... cool saw!

Gary

Thanks for the tip. I don't recall ever seeing something like that but will be looking. This is an 041 AV Electronic so it should be one of the later production models and thus should have the adjuster.

Yes it is a cool saw. Now if I could just wave a wand and take 10 pounds off of it...

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
Thanks for the tip. I don't recall ever seeing something like that but will be looking. This is an 041 AV Electronic so it should be one of the later production models and thus should have the adjuster.

Yes it is a cool saw. Now if I could just wave a wand and take 10 pounds off of it...

Harry K

Thanks only to that tip, I found it. My saw has a big square plate that the filter mounts to on top of the carb. Looks like quite an operation to remove it to allow access to the knob. Fortunately, it is accessible with a screw driver from the side. Assuming that the standard "clockwise is open/more/on, etc", it is currently set at max and is not very difficult to turn.

That makes me wonder if on the bench cleanup job I did with lots of compressed air I might have changed the setting. I will leave it wide open, check it tomorrow in the wood lot and then see what happens by turning it down.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back