"Sometimes a Great Notion"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody ever read the novel by that name by Ken Kesey?

It's about PNW loggers...and there's a horrifying scene where somebody gets killed(?) cutting big wood.

As a flatlander from eastern Virginia who never cut big wood, I'm curious whether it's an accurate description (given Kesey :dizzy:)

The movie was filmed just down the road from us. The house they built for the movie is still located along the Siletz River.
I was about 15 or 16 when they made the movie.
That was a pretty big deal around these parts.
Never did read the book.

I think the book is great, the best thing Kesey ever did. The movie is quite well done as well, although I can't vouch for the accuracy of the logging sequences. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but in one scene something goes wrong and a big conifer of some sorts spins off the stump and causes all sorts of havoc. The river scene where the guy drowns because he can't get out from under a tree in incoming tide seemed contrived. A great movie, Fonda, Newman, et al.

Never heard of this movie until now. I'm just a young'n and it seems it was made well before my time. :hmm3grin2orange: Doesn't look like any movie places carry it but I did find it on amazon.com. Didn't expect it to be that much!

Anybody have a copy they would like to part with a lil' cheaper than amazon?

I would love to see it. Sounds like a very interesting movie.

Netflix doesn't have it because it never made DVD. Movie was made in 1971, soon after the book. Ebay has a couple with bids at $10. Luck to those who'd like to watch it.

The movie was filmed just down the road from us. The house they built for the movie is still located along the Siletz River.
I was about 15 or 16 when they made the movie.
That was a pretty big deal around these parts.
Never did read the book.

I seen the movie years ago, had forgot about it good movie from
what I remember.

Neuman directed

I also have a copy I'll loan as long as everyone points and laughs at the jerk who wrecks or doesn't return it. First post who wants it gets it. He can mail it to the next guy he wants to.
That way there is half the postage, and let me see it again in a few months.

Love this site.
Jerk with a new two part desk: That was my fathers desk!!!!

Newman after shutting off saw: It ain't a new truck, but it made me feel better.

If I can find another copy in my collection, I'll start another one.
\Rob

I saw the movie back in the 70's, when I was a budding arborist, and had only done a tiny bit of logging. And i just read the book last year. Check again at the movie rental places, but look for it entitled, "Never Give An Inch".

The most touching scene is when Paul Nerwman unsuccessfully attempts to free his brother who was trapped under a log that he'd been cutting while it was in the river. Had to watch his bro drown.

Very cool was when they barged into a lumber baron's office and cut his desk in half with a Mac 125 or similar model!

I saw the movie back in the 70's, when I was a budding arborist, and had only done a tiny bit of logging. And i just read the book last year. Check again at the movie rental places, but look for it entitled, "Never Give An Inch".

The most touching scene is when Paul Nerwman unsuccessfully attempts to free his brother who was trapped under a log that he'd been cutting while it was in the river. Had to watch his bro drown.

Very cool was when they barged into a lumber baron's office and cut his desk in half with a Mac 125 or similar model!

Also cool was one of the last scenes...Paul Newman running the tug with the logs rafted...and his Dad's severed arm and hand tied to the mast with the middle finger extended. Some good falling scenes in the movie,too.

I actually just finished the book about a month ago. Took me the better part of a year to do it! I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a liberal arts degree in english (which I don't). Ken Kesey was really out there when he wrote it. Way too much emphasis on the "art" of writing rather than just the story. It's a very difficult read, compared to popular fiction today. The book just rambles on and on, switching from character to character without any indication of reference point. You have to figure out who's saying what based on the context of what's being said, and then it changes in the next sentence. In one sentence "I" will be Lee, and then in the next "I" will be Hank etc. Quite the bizarre book. I will say there was pretty good character development though. I would like to see the movie. I kept picturing Hank as Paul Newman throughout the book... My advice: skip the book!

I actually just finished the book about a month ago. Took me the better part of a year to do it! I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a liberal arts degree in english (which I don't). Ken Kesey was really out there when he wrote it. Way too much emphasis on the "art" of writing rather than just the story. It's a very difficult read, compared to popular fiction today. The book just rambles on and on, switching from character to character without any indication of reference point. You have to figure out who's saying what based on the context of what's being said, and then it changes in the next sentence. In one sentence "I" will be Lee, and then in the next "I" will be Hank etc. Quite the bizarre book. I will say there was pretty good character development though. I would like to see the movie. I kept picturing Hank as Paul Newman throughout the book... My advice: skip the book!

Well, I have a degree in Religious Studies, of all things, so I guess I fall into the lib arts category. It's true that Kesey was on acid when he did a lot of the writing, but I liked it a LOT. Not nearly as bizarre as a lot of what I see going on every day. The movie is certainly more accessible.

I just watched my new DVD last night. I bought it for the Mac saw scenes, not as much time as I expected. My wife had to leave the room during the intense drowning scene, pretty sad. Here's where I got mine.
http://store.thesmallscreen.org/sogrno19dvd.html
Scott

Thanks for the link. I loaned out the only copy I had (VHS taped off of TV) and the people who borrowed it moved to Isreal. Good to know its on DVD

Influence

Saw the movie as a kid. It really put the hook in me about chainsaws. The scene where the desk is cut in half is great! Yeah, thats a McCulloch 125 that he uses. Its also a McCulloch 125 that he is using to try and cut his brother out from under the log. Nice touch when the saw stalls, he reaches for the starter handle and it snaps right out of his hand because he forgot to hit the compression release. All in all I think it has a lot of great logging scenes from a time when big wood was still being harvested. The dialouge is full of logging terms too. Give it a watch!

Well, gosh, I never saw the movie, I just read the book, so I can't comment on the movie at all....it was the book I was talkin about.

It's a really well-written book, if a little slow-going (Kesey is dense)...most libraries should have it, check it out, I bet you'll like it:

"Sometimes a Great Notion"
by Ken Kesey

Man !!one of my favourite films of all time.
The bit where newman cuts his spar and is sitting up on the top whilst its still rocking,I wonder if it was him who actually did that.............?? lotta balls if he did...pissed my vhs copy got eaten by the video..I dont understand why they released it as two different tittles though,hope it will get rereleased on dvd soon aint seen it for years we used to recite it at work all the time...if a saw didnt start it would be a "it aint gona work hank" momment!:greenchainsaw:

Love the movie reminds me of my grand dad and his gypo outfit. I am the right age for nostalgia purposes. Still have my grand dads super 33 would like to find info on restoration.

Man !!one of my favourite films of all time.
The bit where newman cuts his spar and is sitting up on the top whilst its still rocking,I wonder if it was him who actually did that.............?? lotta balls if he did...pissed my vhs copy got eaten by the video..I dont understand why they released it as two different tittles though,hope it will get rereleased on dvd soon aint seen it for years we used to recite it at work all the time...if a saw didnt start it would be a "it aint gona work hank" momment!:greenchainsaw:

It's out on dvd, see my post above for link and loan info.

Latest posts

Back