Kickin' it old school!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my 028 that I got off of eBay. This is a neat little saw. I can see why Stihl sold a few of these critters...many of the features present in modern saws are in this saw. It is something to tinker with, and maybe let my GF try out. Whatcha all think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW, Ralph talking about working on his 028 is part of why I wanted this chainsaw...:cry:

When I use this saw...I will think of him...;)

WOW - Sure is pretty.... Don't mess with it... way too nice...

A minor muffler tweak works, but you need to add a deflector below the louvers (remove) or you'll burn the case.

That's a sweet saw! Nice score. I've got bigger, smaller and newer Stihls but my 028s are my favorite. If I may be so bold, how much did you score it for?

In the immortal words of Mr. Seger, "Like a Rock".

Last edited:
That's a sweet saw! Nice score. I've got bigger, smaller and newer Stihls but my 028s are my favorite. If I may be so bold, how much did you score it for?

In the immortal words of Mr. Seger, "Like a Rock".

It cost me a total of $265. It is a lot of money, but i wanted a saw in really good condition. I was helped by Andy and others when I made a request for info:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=48933&highlight=028+buyers

The only feature it lacks is the lateral chain tensioner...guess I'll have to start looking for one of those...and an 038MagII to match it...and an 064....and so on and so forth...:hmm3grin2orange:

I just sold a "not so clean" 28S for $300.. so you did GREAT!!!

I believe that is why Stihl is so strong these days...a reputation built on the foundation of saws like the 028, 038, etc.
The knowledge that I gained from this site made it possible...I tried to rep you Andy...but all I got right now is a starters pistol...:cheers:

Howdy Tzed250,

A nice saw and a good deal, well done. Now I'm to embarassed to post a picture of any of my saws. Come to think of it I guess I can't post pictures of anything I own after seeing that. I think I may have to go to the shed and clean up my saws.

v/r

Mike

SWEEEET looking 028! I have two that I thought were the bomb. Mine pale by comparison. Congratulations on owning a great specimen of a great saw. As you can see from my signature my fondness of saws encompasses a wide spectrum. However, for some odd reason, I have a distinct like of the later 028's.

I really appreciate the nice comments. I originally planned to get an 038MagII, but they remain quite pricey. After Reading all the good things people had to say about the 028, I decided to go after one, and I actually needed a 50cc saw after letting my 026 go a while back. I look forward to getting it in some wood!

Well, I thought it was a clean saw and great deal, until I seen the clear plastic peeling up over the name-plate. I think you got ripped off!:laugh: :laugh: . Just kidding, that is one clean saw. Has it ever been fired up?. Anyway, Great deal:bowdown:

It cost me a total of $265. It is a lot of money, but i wanted a saw in really good condition. I was helped by Andy and others when I made a request for info:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=48933&highlight=028+buyers

The only feature it lacks is the lateral chain tensioner...guess I'll have to start looking for one of those...and an 038MagII to match it...and an 064....and so on and so forth...:hmm3grin2orange:

I think you did fine, it's only too much if it's more than you can afford. :confused: I got my first one about 15 years ago and it looked like that, maybe a little better as the bar still had all paint intact for $175 at an estate auction. I was tickled. There were two beat to crap Macs that went for way more money and everyone eye-balled me when I left like I was the crazy one. Gone through a couple bars, few chains, filters and such doesn't look pretty like yours anymore, but still have the original tool kit and manual. Runs fantastic. These saws are bulletproof. The chain tensioner is not a big deal to me, use a screw driver.

I too long for a 038MII, one of these days..........:chainsaw:

Wow, that's clean.

I used my Dolmar 5100 ONCE and it looks a lot rougher than that saw already!

Now, go beat the crap out of it and enjoy some cutting!

Back