The newest 50 & 70cc saws in the market

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The newest 50 & 80cc saws in the market

The Solo 681 & 656

656-1.JPG

656-2.JPG

656-3.JPG

656-4.JPG

656-5.JPG

Last edited:
You have no idea how hard this is for me right now:deadhorse: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I really want to know the skinny on the 681 - power and weight. Very Dolmaresque in design - how does it compare with the 7900 as far as power?

I didn't say whether these are any good or not.

Steve

I hear ya Steve!! That wasn't even my point!!!

They look pretty well built I will admit!! A problem I see right off the get go, hard to tell from pics mind you, looks like the airfilters kinda suck!

Didn't solo try and get Dolmar to build their new line and Dolmar said no? and then solo sorta copied their stuff?
Thats what I had read elsewhere last year and was wondering by the looks of them.

Last edited:
The 656 I have run so far my feeling is Id rather run the PS5100. The PS5100 is MUCH SMOOTHER, MORE POWER, and LIGHTER

Ill test the 681 tomorrow....

Scott

Didn't solo try and get Dolmar to build their new line and Dolmar said no? and then solo sorta copied their stuff?
Thats what I had read elsewhere last year and was wondering by the looks of them.

That's pretty much it, Cut. There was some king of agreement between them. At some point Dolmar simply decided to blow Solo off and keep the saws for themselves.

Last edited:
.......Solo 656 / 56cc / 5.3kg / 3.2kW
Dolmar 5100S / 50cc / 5.1kg / 3.8kW

.....Solo 681 / 81cc / 6.6kg / 4.7kW
Dolmar 7900 / 79cc / 6.3kg / 4.6kW

Last edited:
The 656 is hardly all new. It is built on the same chassis as my 651pro. I recognize many parts. Crankcase, tank, muffler, air cleaner, side cover. Some small stuff that's different: primer, throttle lock is part of choke linkage instead of a button on left of handle. Starter is different but looks like it would interchange. Top cover obviously different, and certainly the cylinder under it. New model, but not a new saw.

I really want to know the skinny on the 681 - power and weight. Very Dolmaresque in design - how does it compare with the 7900 as far as power?

This is the first time I looked at the specs side by side and they match how they felt. The 656 feels like a PS510 for power, and the 681 & 7900 are close.
.......Solo 656 / 56cc / 5.3kg / 3.2kW
Dolmar 5100S / 50cc / 5.1kg / 3.8kW

.....Solo 681 / 81cc / 6.6kg / 4.7kW
Dolmar 7900 / 79cc / 6.3kg / 4.6kW

So, how'd they run, and what did you tell the rep? (And when is he coming down to see me?:givebeer: )

I've had these saws since boonville and haven't heard or seen mike.

Steve

The 656 is hardly all new. It is built on the same chassis as my 651pro. I recognize many parts. Crankcase, tank, muffler, air cleaner, side cover. Some small stuff that's different: primer, throttle lock is part of choke linkage instead of a button on left of handle. Starter is different but looks like it would interchange. Top cover obviously different, and certainly the cylinder under it. New model, but not a new saw.

That must be why it looks like a 15 year old design.

Back