Two Stupid little loops in my chain !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinj

Whatarya, Goofy?
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So many times, I take my freshly sharpened chain out of my toolbox.
O.K. So, now I have this loop of chain,
in front of me, but, EVERY time it has these two little loops,
that I have to get rid of before it goes onto the bar. : :mad:
And it takes forever it seems to get rid of the buggers...:angry2:
Is there a secret to get rid of these two loops, before they turn into four little stupid loops ??? :angry2: :angry2:

Thanks for all your responses...
Am I the only one who can't quite figgure this out ??? :confused:

Take a chain that is shaped like ready to go on the bar, in the oval shape. Hold it in that shape with one hand representing each end sprocket. Now, slowly bring your hands together while holding the bottom flat part of the chain tight,and let the top of the chain drop until it is lower than the bottom (where the bottom of the bar would be). It creates a loop at each end by your fingers. That is that start of that deal. I use that every time I have that happen, which is usually every time i unwrap a chain. Hope that makes sense.

Hey Guys,
Is there a secret to get rid of these two loops, before they turn into four little stupid loops ??? :angry2: :angry2:

Yes there is,,, the trick is to make the loops 180 degrees out,,, then grab the chain by those loops over the top of them,,, then putting your fingers inside the loops and grabbing the loops on the top & rolling the loops outward/away from each other,,, it will work everytime,,,, granted they are not rolling the same way if they are,,,, you have to keep working the chain till they are opposite,,,, when they are the same they have atendency to make four loops :bang: :bang: :bang: the more you do it the better you get at it!!!!!

Hope that helps!!!!!

Last edited:
Practice makes perfect - I used to have someone twist them up as bad as possible while I wasn't looking, then I'd untangle them. Now it's very easy:)

Take a chain that is shaped like ready to go on the bar, in the oval shape. Hold it in that shape with one hand representing each end sprocket. Now, slowly bring your hands together while holding the bottom flat part of the chain tight,and let the top of the chain drop until it is lower than the bottom (where the bottom of the bar would be). It creates a loop at each end by your fingers. That is that start of that deal. I use that every time I have that happen, which is usually every time i unwrap a chain. Hope that makes sense.

That's a pretty good explanation, rep'd ya for that one. :clap: I was sitting here trying to think of how I was gonna explain the whole process and I saw your answer very well put. ;)

Yes there is,,, the trick is to make the loops 180 degrees out,,, then grab the chain by those loops over the top of them,,, then putting your fingers inside the loops and grabbing the loops on the top & rolling the loops outward/away from each other,,, it will work everytime,,,, granted they are not rolling the same way if they are,,,, you have to keep working the chain till they are opposite,,,, when they are the same they have atendency to make four loops :bang: :bang: :bang: the more you do it the better you get at it!!!!!

Hope that helps!!!!!

I'm gonna print that out.
And post it inside my toolbox.
And also on the headboard of my bed.

Just kidding...

On the ceiling, above the bed...

:)

If I was hiring an employee...

A boxful of randomly wadded up loops of (sharpened) saw chains would be a better test than any psych eval or drug screen I've ever taken.

If they don't ask for a pair of gloves first... :jester: "next!"

Last edited:
I'm gonna print that out.
And post it inside my toolbox.
And also on the headboard of my bed.

Just kidding...

On the ceiling, above the bed...

As you roll the loops away from each other lift the inside of the loops and lift the whole chain that's inside the loops over the straight part of chain on the bottom as Bowtie said,,,, Practice a bit,,,, you will see it does work!!!!! :givebeer:

As you roll the loops away from each other lift the inside of the loops and lift the whole chain that's inside the loops over the straight part of chain on the bottom as Bowtie said,,,, Practice a bit,,,, you will see it does work!!!!! :givebeer:

Sounds like great advice...
Thanks everyone...

:cheers:

Hey Guys,

The only time I had the two loop problem was when I using stihl chain.

Yes, you're the only one:confused: :ices_rofl:

Bwahahahahahahaaaaa! No, take the center of the loop and flip it (da whole chain) an' let it hang down, repeat till un-done, sometimes helps to lay it flat on cardboard or kitchen counter :p One of them unexplainable facts of knot.

:jester:

(I hate it too but its really simple, esp once you learn ta put the chain in the wee box thingy by holdin' in da air and just settling it in, removal is the opposite :D won't generally tangle that way.

Serge

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bwahahahahahahaaaaa! No, take the center of the loop and flip it (da whole chain) an' let it hang down, repeat till un-done, sometimes helps to lay it flat on cardboard or kitchen counter :p One of them unexplainable facts of knot.

:jester:

(I hate it too but its really simple, esp once you learn ta put the chain in the wee box thingy by holdin' in da air and just settling it in, removal is the opposite :D won't generally tangle that way.

Serge

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Wow !!!
That sounds E-Z P-Z.
Like GAS would say.
I'm sure when I figgure it out I'll say ...
" DUH " !!! :bang:

(I think the applicable term is DOH!)

;)

Yeah Serge, yer right.
"Duh" is too much from the 90's.
Kinda stupid really...
"DOH" is more like today...
Homer Simpson style.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back