Splitters - Horizontal or horizontal/vertical

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I joined a few months ago.......had a stihl 026 saw. After lots of reading I ended up adding a MS361 to my shed. Love both saws. Helped my cousin about 3 weeks ago fell 3 large oaks. We borrowed my uncle's old didier log splitter. I had never used anything but a maul before but now I am hooked on getting a splitter for myself. I probably go through 3-4 cords of wood per winter, but would probably go through more if the splitting were not such a pain. I see some prefer horizontal with a log lift, and others love the H/V splitters. I've read for hours regarding Brave, Iron & Oak, Timberwolf, American, Huskee, Supersplit, and other splitters.

I am about convinced to pull the trigger on an American 25HH with log lift and 8hp briggs, 16gpm pump, pans w/ extended hitch. Most of my wood is smaller, less than 16", but there is the large stuff (20" plus) that ends up being about 30% of the total wood I split.

My biggest fear is getting a H/V, working height for horizontal being too tall compared to a regular horizontal (I am 5'-6" tall).......and not liking vertical much since you will always be either working on your knees or bent over.........however, I can get a I&O h/v fast cycle for about 2/3 of the american unit I want.

I've looked at the Huskee 22 ton, and while it may be adequate, it doesn't have a good log cradle, I don't really care for verticle engines, and overall it just looks like it was put together as cheaply as possible.......although I've not read any bad reviews on it.

Is my thinking flawed in spending a chunk once for a lifetime splitter, good working height, log lift, fairly fast cycle, and the 4-way wedge?

One thing I don't like about most verticals is that the wedge is only 6". My uncle's didier horizontal has a 6" stationary wedge, and on the larger rounds you almost always have to flip the log over to split it completely since the wedge isn't tall enough. Does a 10" wedge on the american make a big difference?

Oh, and on the American 25HH, I realize the briggs isn't a Honda, but I have a 9hp Robin with low hours on a pressure washer that I would compare, and possibly swap the Robin onto the splitter since I would probably use the splitter more. The Honda is a $275 upgrade.

Just looking for opinions before I drop major coin. Thanks in advance.

Waylan

Last edited:
Is my thinking flawed in spending a chunk once for a lifetime splitter, good working height, log lift, fairly fast cycle, and the 4-way wedge?

Do it once and do it right. I think you're thinking the right way on this.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape on the engine. They all work, and are cheap/easy to replace when they wear out. And with even minimal upkeep a B&S will last plenty long enough.

I prefer the H versus H/V splitter, especially if your wood would benefit from a 4-way wedge. Some folks love running their splitter in vertical mode, I don't see the need for most of what I split. And anything too big to get up on the splitter gets ripped in half with a big saw, and then I'm good to go.

Ive in about the same boat as you.. But i dont have a wood burner around here, but in the near future will be installing 1 out in the shop. My firewood pile is getting larger but with unlimited room for expansion. I think i have close to 4 cord unsplit thats been stacked up for the last few years and the sizes range from 6 inches to alot of it almost 24 some peices bigger. Ive looked into renting a splittor but in my eyes and standerds thats a no no. I would rather buy the equipment instead of worring about late fee or per the hour rental, heck already got a concrete saw, jackhammer, scaffolding.. etc and used em more then i have ever realized. Ive been looking at 1 of them husky Horizontal 20-22 ton splittors for around 1000$ if possible. Already got a log lift.. its called the tractor/loader. For the limited use its gonna get and the limited wood availability here in NW Iowa i dont dare go overboard on the cost.

Go with the horizontal. I have a H/V Northern and only tried the vertical once. Couldn't stand being bent over move wood. In fact, when I replaced one of the worn hydraulic hoses, I made it shorter (it almost dragged on the ground stock for the "vertical option") so it no longer can be used vertical. Mine has a cheapy tecumseh 5hp with tons of hours. I wouldn't worry about the engine option. The only reason I would upgrade the engine is to reduce the volume of the exhaust. The muffler on mine is very loud. My neightbor has a Honda or Robin on his and it is whisper quiet compared to mine.

I cut an split between 5 and 8 cord a year for personal use and tohers use the splitter for about the same combined yearly.

Hope this helps.

Waylan, I know you're not planning to modify the old dider but I did. These pics are of my old didier after some serious modifications. After running a few cords thru it I can say that I will do some things differently on the next one. The vertical orientation is a pain in the ...... Being bent over and wrestling 24"+ rounds just plain sucks. Also, I agree with you about the short wedge. Mine is 8", an extra few inches would save a considerible amount of work with some species of wood. If I had it to do all over I think a 10" to 12" wedge on a horizontal splitter with a log lift would be my preference.

i bought a cheapie off ebay 2 years ago. horizontal 16 ton honda 5hp motor. it has a killer cycle time, 2 forward speeds which helps a ton. only real problem i have with it is it was very low to the ground, and it has cheap ass tires. so this winter i welded legs and a cross brace to the bottom of it and relocated the cheap ass wheels. when they finally give out ill go to tractor supply and get nice ones. for the 8 or 9 hundred i paid it has been great aside from the height issues. it holds about 3 gallons of fluid too.

Well, I had everything worked out and was going to pull the trigger on the American 25HH, log lift, pans, extended hitch, wedge backer, and 4-way wedge.......then found out shipping was going to be $850. A real deal killer. I could not do that just based on principal. Larry at American was just as surprised as me.........I guess with the price of fuel continually rising and the distance from New York to Louisiana it just wasn't meant to be.

Bad thing is it took me 3 weeks of beating my head against the wall to finally decide to part with the coin to get what I wanted.......and now it's a no-go.

I realize timberwolf makes something comparable, but they are much more expensive.......and I have no idea what shipping would run on one.......just the added expense of a timberwolf takes it out of the running.

The horizontal splitters by Iron & Oak have no pans, have a slower cycle time, and have no option for the log lift unless you spring for the $5k plus model........which is out of my cost range.

My next favorite is the I&O 20 ton fast cycle with the 9hp Robin. 8 second cycle time, cradle, and log dislodger to my door for about $2300. One thing I really dislike about the HV units is the wedge is shorter than a horizontal.

Does anyone else have experience with the I&O fast cycle H/V?

Waylan

I've got a vertical/horizontal splitter and I love it. You don't have to work on your knees, you can pull up a block and work sitting flat on your butt.
For the smaller stuff use it horizontal, and for the bigger stuff use it vertical so you don't have to lift the large rounds.
If you're only doing a few cords a year I wouldn't worry about getting a real fast cycle time, you're only looking at a few day's work a year.

Andy

Does anyone else have experience with the I&O fast cycle H/V?

Waylan

If you want to try out this splitter I think that you can rent it from RSC (Rental Service Sompany) a national rental company, most larger towns have a RSC nearby. This way, you can test it out first to see if you like it. I'm also interested in the same splitter and plan on renting one later this summer in a head to head test against my old 26 ton h/v MTD. Buy the way, if you like the splitter you rent from RSC, one can usually buy the rental unit for a fair price, but usually no great deals from RSC.

My old MTD splitter is so SLOW and is really the weak link in my making my firewood pile grow. I split big pieces of hardwood usually 20" -30" diameter. I roll the buck under the vertical splitter, get on my knee pads and have at it! I toss the splits to my right and move the whole operation to my left as the woodpile grows. With regard to the horizontal position, it would be nearly impossible to pickup my bucks and split them in the horizontal position as the wood is just too heavy and I split my wood into small pieces.

I like the idea of a fast cycle splitter, you might check out the Super Splitter http://www.supersplit.com/index.htm. It really moves! Watch the video, it's so fast, it looks a little dangerous! But again you have to pickup the bucks and put them on the splitter.

Have fun

If you can swing the extra coin go with a horizontal machine with a log lift. Check out the video on the timberwolf web site. Once you see that lift in action you will understand what I mean. A real back saver.

My much modified Didier, '79 or '80. Done between 10 - 20 full cord every year. Just finished 18 for this coming season
splitter1.jpg
. 5 hp Briggs just keeps running. You don't have to buy 'top of the line' for the 5 or 6 cord you're thinking of putting up. Not in the picture, but I've added a woodcatcher on the front since this pic.

The splitter that has me hooked is my Uncle's didier. If he'd sell that one to me I would mod it out the wazoo into what I want. I have a plasma cutter, welding machine, etc. to build it into something better, but he won't sell. I've been watching ebay and the paper but haven't seen anything come up yet, plus it would be so convenient to just buy something just the way I want it.

I've read it on here several times, and a buddy of mine that used to cut/sell firewood on the side told me the verticle units wore him out. Whatever I get I want it to have a fast cycle time..........not blistering, but 10 seconds or less.

And yes, in north Louisiana, it is below 50 for a few months every year. We always get into the teens at night several times during the winter..........and lots of nights at freezing or below.

Waylan

Wow .. I didnt think it got that cold down there, but what do I know about southern weather.

Check your local want ads, and farm auctions for a used or homemade horizontal splitter. Then you can modify it to your liking for alot less $$ than the cost of steel and some of your time. You are basically there with a plasma cutter, and a welder.

I modded mine this past winter(log lift) and all I used was a welder and torches.

GOOD LUCK..:cheers:

Go with the horizontal. I have a H/V Northern and only tried the vertical once. Couldn't stand being bent over move wood.

No need to bend over Darren. I just set a block of wood in front of the splitter and use it as a chair. Splittin' wood sittin' down!

I think it's the only way to go on the big stuff. You just roll them in and split 'em. And there's no need to be concerned with big chunks falling off the splitter when everything is already on the ground.

For the smaller stuff, I prefer the higher working height of the V/H versus the horizontal only.

horizontal is the way to go. tried the vertical once noway . can get bigger blocks on the horizontal . don,t know how to load pics to show the difference . splitter engine is in rebuild mood right now .I will get the engine back together. figure out the pics .let you see the swing axial in action an the can crusher

I joined a few months ago.......had a stihl 026 saw. After lots of reading I ended up adding a MS361 to my shed. Love both saws. Helped my cousin about 3 weeks ago fell 3 large oaks. We borrowed my uncle's old didier log splitter. I had never used anything but a maul before but now I am hooked on getting a splitter for myself. I probably go through 3-4 cords of wood per winter, but would probably go through more if the splitting were not such a pain. I see some prefer horizontal with a log lift, and others love the H/V splitters. I've read for hours regarding Brave, Iron & Oak, Timberwolf, American, Huskee, Supersplit, and other splitters.

I am about convinced to pull the trigger on an American 25HH with log lift and 8hp briggs, 16gpm pump, pans w/ extended hitch. Most of my wood is smaller, less than 16", but there is the large stuff (20" plus) that ends up being about 30% of the total wood I split.

My biggest fear is getting a H/V, working height for horizontal being too tall compared to a regular horizontal (I am 5'-6" tall).......and not liking vertical much since you will always be either working on your knees or bent over.........however, I can get a I&O h/v fast cycle for about 2/3 of the american unit I want.

I've looked at the Huskee 22 ton, and while it may be adequate, it doesn't have a good log cradle, I don't really care for verticle engines, and overall it just looks like it was put together as cheaply as possible.......although I've not read any bad reviews on it.

One thing I don't like about most verticals is that the wedge is only 6". My uncle's didier horizontal has a 6" stationary wedge, and on the larger rounds you almost always have to flip the log over to split it completely since the wedge isn't tall enough. Does a 10" wedge on the american make a big difference?

Oh, and on the American 25HH, I realize the briggs isn't a Honda, but I have a 9hp Robin with low hours on a pressure washer that I would compare, and possibly swap the Robin onto the splitter since I would probably use the splitter more. The Honda is a $275 upgrade.

Just looking for opinions before I drop major coin. Thanks in advance.

Waylan

Here is a home built H/V. I'm 5' 6'' my self and built it for comfortable splitting hight for me. In verticle big rounds only get 1 or 2 splits and rolled out of the way horz. splitting later. Splitez will build you one just like it if you want. Working higth is 33'', no leaning forward or bending over to split horizontal.

Last edited:
I prefer horizontal because this keeps bending over to a minimum and saves my back. Also the split wood falls down into a pile. So I roll my splitter over near a pile of cut wood and split until the split pile is as high as I can get it, then roll the splitter further down the line.

BUT in my area (Oregon), we have some very large diameter trees and the rounds I cut from these are too heavy to lift. I can roll them though. Anyway for these I need a vertical as well so I can roll the rounds to the splitter and don't have to lift them.

Latest posts

Back