Draft regulator and flue temperatures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike66

Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve been lurking here reading this group for a few months now. Nice to see so many wood freaks, and know I don’t have some rare “wood” disorder. I’ve burned wood for about 7 years now but with just a small wood stove in the living room. (I burn about 4 cords a year) It’s really helped with the fuel bills but after this last winter I decided to pull the oil furnace and put in a wood furnace in the basement. (I still have a L.P. furnace as a back up) I put in a US Stove Company Hotblast 1400. I dropped a stainless steel liner with an insulated blanket down my brick chimney(about 25'). My wood stove is on its own class A Chimney. I fired my wood furnace for the first time this morning with a small break in fire. Everything seems great. My question is setting my barometric draft regulator. The furnace manufacture says to set it to obtain a draft of .05 -.06” W.C. under stable fire conditions. This is where I have it set now, but when I measure stack temperatures I have about a 150 degree drop across the draft regulator. So I guess my question is how I maintain my stack temps where they should be if my draft regulator is set correctly.

Thanks for any help and the great site,
Butch from Wisconsin

How cool is the stack getting upstream of the regulator? I would be most worried about getting the stack below 350 F and causing creosote. If you're over 500 coming into the regulator, you're a bit too hot. 150 sounds a bit high, maybe adjust it for about 100 degree drop over a normal fire.

Back