Is this a BLK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was given this today. It is almost complete just missing sprocket and rear handle and fuel tank cap. The bar with it seems to be original and is stamped 9.63 which if I understand correctly dates the saw at Aug 1963 ? In the box was another Stihl part marked type 265 No 774 which is new and unused any ideas ? I might be lucky and another search may locate the missing parts if not it will be some paper weight !!

Yep, funny you can compare the pics in todays, Some times i hate lombard,but love keenkutter, post. Started by Old Mac Guy.

Good luck with it.

WOW!! Two BLK's show up in one day!!! :clap: :clap:
Both needing parts... :cry:
Dave, I sent you a PM.
:greenchainsaw:
-- Ken

Last edited:
Was given this today. It is almost complete just missing sprocket and rear handle and fuel tank cap. The bar with it seems to be original and is stamped 9.63 which if I understand correctly dates the saw at Aug 1963 ? In the box was another Stihl part marked type 265 No 774 which is new and unused any ideas ? I might be lucky and another search may locate the missing parts if not it will be some paper weight !!
There usually is an info chield that tell the model, year, and more on those....

There is no doubt it is a BLK, BLK57 or BLK58. Unless they are absent from the pictures you are missing a few more parts. It looks like the fuel line and throttle cable are gone. The fuel line should not be a problem but the throttle cable might be. The recoil handle is gone so I would check to see what else is missing under the cover. ALso I see the muffler and muffler cover are both absent.

As SawTroll pointed out there should be an information tag on the back cover. Please take a picture from the rear. There is a good chance you are also missing the rear screen cover that has a small roller bearing in it.

It does not matter if it is missing parts. The saw is a good find no matter whats missing.

Now for the attachment I know some will say I am wrong. Stihl made the BLK with a trimmer/brushcutter attachment. I believe what you have is the gear box attachment that allowed you to use a saw bar on the end of the brushcutter. Now the good news is I believe if you remove the gear from that attachment you will have the missing gear from the saw. They should be the same and will interchange. That looks like a 5/8 gear.

Bill

Last edited:
Thank for the replys. I should have been more accurate in my description , the model plate on the rear is missing but I do have throttle cable, rear screen and bearing, start handle(still attached to mech by wire rope) and the throttle trigger.So it is just the small matter of muffler, muffler guard, rear handle, chain sprocket (the one on the attachment is to big gauge for the 404 chain and bar with saw) and fuel cap !! There is a couple of scores on the piston but moves well and would be a shame not to make the effort to get it back together ?

Now for the attachment I know some will say I am wrong. Stihl made the BLK with a trimmer/brushcutter attachment. I believe what you have is the gear box attachment that allowed you to use a saw bar on the end of the brushcutter. Now the good news is I believe if you remove the gear from that attachment you will have the missing gear from the saw. They should be the same and will interchange. That looks like a 5/8 gear.

Bill

Bill,

I think you are right. I have the brushcutter attachment that is completely different. I think what he has is indeed a pole saw attachment, that could fit nicely on the brush cutter bar. Never seen one before. Looks as if there was an bar oiling device too.

OMG's 'Lombard' would complete this blk nicely, or the other way around...

blkbrushcutterbsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Bill,

I think you are right. I have the brushcutter attachment that is completely different. I think what he has is indeed a pole saw attachment, that could fit nicely on the brush cutter bar. Never seen one before. Looks as if there was an bar oiling device too.

OMG's 'Lombard' would complete this blk nicely, or the other way around...

blkbrushcutterbsmall.jpg

Hello Belgian,

I would love to find that attachment. Your collection is top notch.:)

Bill

It looks that way ! Thanks so far for the advice,special thanks to Belgian, Old Mac Guy and Bill G (Roland,Ken and Bill) Thank you again.
Although it's New Years day Im off out down the country to price 6 acres of stumps to grind,the felling contractor is the sort of guy that may know the whereabouts of this type of saw and as Ken still needs a bar and chain I will ask him to ask around. Hope we all have a good and safe '09

Back