$20. auction find Alpina A-40

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivefour

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have you ever seen one of these??

I found this little Italian made top handle saw at an auction today.
It's an ALPINA A-40 with 14" bar and good chain, got it for $20.. It felt like it had good compression and looked like it was hardly used. Then I got it home checked and compression 165 psi, checked for spark was good. Dumped the gas and filled up with fresh, five pulls and it fired up worked the choke and kept it running, then slid it off and cleared it out. I can't believe it the thing runs and oils like a top.:rock:
I also picked up this really cool 3 gallon Justrite drain/catch can for $14.. It that has a fine mesh screen in the top, perfect for holding parts in it while spraying off with carb clean or brake clean.

I never knew these Alpina chainsaw's existed. It's covered in the chainsaw manual and I also found it on CSCC site.
Sounds like a pretty good saw, chrome cylinder, infamous dual ring piston, it may be electronic ignition or have points, depending on DOM.........................454

Chainsaw002.jpg
Chainsaw003.jpg

Chainsaw004.jpg
Chainsaw005.jpg

got to get me one of these... didn't know they existed

I also picked up this really cool 3 gallon Justrite drain/catch can for $14.. It that has a fine mesh screen in the top, perfect for holding parts in it while spraying off with carb clean or brake clean.

Chainsaw005.jpg

They're a good saw, but a little heavy and parts are pretty scarce. Worth a shot for $30.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKlD26pSeBg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKlD26pSeBg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I got you beat several years ago I picked up a Disston DA211 with 5ft bar for $20.00. The best part is it ran, have only used it once to drop a 4ft oak.

I picked up the Alpina 0-70 this afternoon. Got it for $20.. Checked compression 155 psi. and good spark.
The seller told me it had been sitting for at least 9 years. It was his late father's and had not been used since he passed away.
I filled the tank but it wouldn't start, not getting gas. Once I go through the carb it should run fine. The handle bar needs a screw and maybe a little tweak, and it needs an end and boot for the plug wire. Overall it's in pretty good shape. It should clean up nicely.

Chainsaw001.jpg

Chainsaw002-1.jpg

Chainsaw003-1.jpg

Alpina Parts

I was suprised to find an alpina thread.
I can't seem to find anyone in eastern North carolina that can help me with mine. I need some parts, but I can't find anyone who can help. Not even the oracle of all online knowlege wikkipedia knew anything about an alpina. Can you guys help me out? I need a coil and some flywheel parts.
Its a late 70's - early 80's Prof55. It runs like scalded dog till it gets hot (coil?). There are some worn ears on the flywheel that engage the starter hub (flywheel parts). So only every 3rd or 4th pull is good. It's my dad's old saw, so it's more sentimental that i get it fixed. Otherwise I'd probably just go out and buy a used Sthil.

Thanks Guys

I was suprised to find an alpina thread.
I can't seem to find anyone in eastern North carolina that can help me with mine. I need some parts, but I can't find anyone who can help. Not even the oracle of all online knowlege wikkipedia knew anything about an alpina. Can you guys help me out? I need a coil and some flywheel parts.
Its a late 70's - early 80's Prof55. It runs like scalded dog till it gets hot (coil?). There are some worn ears on the flywheel that engage the starter hub (flywheel parts). So only every 3rd or 4th pull is good. It's my dad's old saw, so it's more sentimental that i get it fixed. Otherwise I'd probably just go out and buy a used Sthil.

Thanks Guys

Good luck on that one... I think it's going to be very difficult to find parts for this saw. You could try Sven Johnson on the swedisch collector forum, as he was a former Alpina dealer on your side of the pond. He told me once he still had parts available for elder alpina's

Thanks Belgian,
I searched for sven johnson and cant find him on the site. Does hae have another user name? Or am I looking in the wrong place?
What part of Belgium are you from? Just curious. I've been over there occasionally on business.

Back