ran Chainsaw without cainlube oil pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbochargedv8

Reaction score
I have a POULAN P4018WT- 18 inch 40 cc Gas Chain Saw and theres an Automatic Chain Oiler but it ran without oil

it was smoking from the side and i didnt realize it was due to no oil i figured i couldnt burn it up since theres oil in the gas

well i learned the hard:censored: way heres some pics what parts are these and if i buy the parts will this thing be alright or do i need a new one

dd004.jpg
dd003.jpg
dd005.jpg
dd006.jpg

So what is actually wrong w/ it? Sprocket looks ok...bet that bar and chain looks nice. Is the clutch frozen? Did it sieze? So if it has an automatic oiler you still have to add oil????

Good thing it's just an el'cheapo Poulan. I bet you would be really upset if it was something like a Stihl or Husky:chainsaw:

theres a small oil cap you unscrew and add oil i opened the cap and it was bone dry

once it started smoking i noticed some of the plastic was melted it wasnt restarting after i added oil

i sprayed some wd40 near the clutch assembly and it was easier to pull and it started
it was running but it would kill when you try to engage the chain and it was still smoking

i see the plasric has melted onto the spring that has something to do with the brake

strip the brake parts off...try and scrape away the melted plastic around the clutch and give it a go.

Melted plastic probably got between clutch and drum. If you melted that much, or any plastic, your saw is probably toast. I bet your bar and chain got hot enough to burn through the wood you were cutting. I would say for safety, use this saw for parts only.

Melted plastic probably got between clutch and drum. If you melted that much, or any plastic, your saw is probably toast. I bet your bar and chain got hot enough to burn through the wood you were cutting. I would say for safety, use this saw for parts only.
Gotta co with KRP on this one, That's a lot of melted plastic around the crank bearing. Doubt if it will ever run like it did again. You may try to clean it up and see if the crank bearings are toast, But you probably have a green trotline weight.

Exactly:agree2:

got it running

took the brake parts off and started it up
it runs good but once i try to cut a branch it kills

i dont think the clutch is fully engaged as i left off that black part with the spring
tomarrow i might clean that black part up and give it a go
i know i will have to get new parts though

the only thing that happend is the sproket got hot and caused the plastic to melt

what do you all think

If the clutch got hot enough to melt the plastic your crank bearing on that side is probably toast,or at least the plastic that supports the bearing has melted.WHY DIDN'T YOU READ THE MANUAL BEFORE YOU STARTED CUTTING :monkey:

Use this saw at your own risk, but, it's best for parts now. I would never put a bar and chain on this saw. With the chassis assembly burnt up the way it is I could never trust it. Buy another of the same model, and have lots of spare parts. Or sell it to the RC boat / airplane crowd on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back