Test Drove a 576XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Actually got to test drive a 576XP

Stopped by the local Husky dealer's open house on Friday. Got to talking to the Husky rep and asked if he had much feedback on the 576XP. To my surprise he said he had his brand new, never run demo unit in his truck and if I wanted to throw on some chaps I could have at it.

5 minutes later I'm running the saw in 20+ inch pine. (Would have preferred hardwood,but all that was around was pine.) Saw was equipped with 20 bar and Husky chain.

Initial impression, this saw has the best anti-vibe I've ever run bar none. It is smooth. Compared to the 372XP I had, I don't believe the 576XP winds up as fast, but seemed to have a much wider power band, more like the old 281XP. Granted the wood was pine but I had to work to bog it. Tried boring cuts, bucking with the spikes dug in and ripping cuts. Balance and handling were surprisingly good as well.

After the trial I was bs'ing with the rep about the Huskies of old, 262, 266, 268XP 181, 281XP etc. Out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to take the saw for a weekend and give it a decent run. OK, what's the catch? None, take it, run it and report what I think. So to make a short story long, he's going to meet me at the dealer's with the saw this Friday morning and I have to return it either Saturday afternoon or Monday after work. I'm looking forward to wringing this saw out. Will post results next weekend if all goes right. My neighbor has three decent oaks laying down, 18 to 30 inch base dia., I told him I'd buck up and split for him for firewood so I should get at least three or four tanks through it.

Who knows, I doubt the PS7900 is going anywhere, but maybe I'll have to add one to the collection. If the anti-vibe is as good as the initial test it would appear to be great for running skip chain. Time will tell.

Take Care

Actually got to test drive a 576XP

Stopped by the local Husky dealer's open house on Friday. Got to talking to the Husky rep and asked if he had much feedback on the 576XP. To my surprise he said he had his brand new, never run demo unit in his truck and if I wanted to throw on some chaps I could have at it.

5 minutes later I'm running the saw in 20+ inch pine. (Would have preferred hardwood,but all that was around was pine.) Saw was equipped with 20 bar and Husky chain.

Initial impression, this saw has the best anti-vibe I've ever run bar none. It is smooth. Compared to the 372XP I had, I don't believe the 576XP winds up as fast, but seemed to have a much wider power band, more like the old 281XP. Granted the wood was pine but I had to work to bog it. Tried boring cuts, bucking with the spikes dug in and ripping cuts. Balance and handling were surprisingly good as well.

After the trial I was bs'ing with the rep about the Huskies of old, 262, 266, 268XP 181, 281XP etc. Out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to take the saw for a weekend and give it a decent run. OK, what's the catch? None, take it, run it and report what I think. So to make a short story long, he's going to meet me at the dealer's with the saw this Friday morning and I have to return it either Saturday afternoon or Monday after work. I'm looking forward to wringing this saw out. Will post results next weekend if all goes right. My neighbor has three decent oaks laying down, 18 to 30 inch base dia., I told him I'd buck up and split for him for firewood so I should get at least three or four tanks through it.

Who knows, I doubt the PS7900 is going anywhere, but maybe I'll have to add one to the collection. If the anti-vibe is as good as the initial test it would appear to be great for running skip chain. Time will tell.

Take Care

I've got quite a few hours on that saw and I'm very happy with it. With a 20 inch bar they're about perfect for ground work. My main complaint is their weight. I don't really want something that heavy when working aloft. My 361 with 20 inch bar is more than capable and much lighter. It doesn't have the power of the 576 but if I want more power the 385's right there with a 24 incher.

Thanks for sharing. I'm planning on trading up my 359 to either a 372xp or 576xp. Not sure which one yet. One day I lean 372, the next 576.:dizzy:

smooth smooth smooth Ultra smooth with sqaure grnd. I have a vid coming up of the first modified 576 I think

I would go with the 372XP. You already have the 346XP and the 372XP winds similar to that, more of a screamer than a moaner. Then you will have the best two saw combo ever. It is my understanding that the 576XP is more low reving, torque type of power.

Scott

I would go with the 372XP. You already have the 346XP and the 372XP winds similar to that, more of a screamer than a moaner. Then you will have the best two saw combo ever. It is my understanding that the 576XP is more low reving, torque type of power.

Scott

HE HE - I tend to agree, except that I have never run a 576xp, so I have to rely on reports by those who have.......:(

Another perspective is that the 576xp is rated at the same max power outout as the 281xp, and is a lot lighter. :popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

Last edited:

Scott

Based upon my quick running I would tend to disagree. The 576XP wound up no doubt but not as quickly as the 372 I had. The only place I could see it being a drawback would be in limbing out a pine or such where you're on and off the throttle constantly.

Will see after this coming weekend.

Take Care

Scott

Just my own preference, but I like the old low revving torque type power better than the wound for sound saws that sound a lot better than they perform!

I decided to go with the 576xp. Picked it up today and ran almost a tank through it. I'm still grinning!!!!!!

Chris

Based upon my quick running I would tend to disagree. The 576XP wound up no doubt but not as quickly as the 372 I had. The only place I could see it being a drawback would be in limbing out a pine or such where you're on and off the throttle constantly.

Will see after this coming weekend.

Take Care

Slow rev-up is always a disadvantage, but of course most important for limbing, as you said.....

Fast rev up is overrated, Some of the super snappy saws now are just like the ford small blocks were in the old days, like the 351 s they sounded real good but a chevy 327 would smoke every time! I would take actual cutting power over the new snappy no torque saws. I think a lot of people would by the popularity of the old school saws!

Fast rev up is overrated, Some of the super snappy saws now are just like the ford small blocks were in the old days, like the 351 s they sounded real good but a chevy 327 would smoke every time! I would take actual cutting power over the new snappy no torque saws. I think a lot of people would by the popularity of the old school saws!

Which is why I always prefered the 359 over the 361/357.

several little things , or big depending on how ya view it . that add up to alot in the hands of a proffesional putting 40 hrs a week on a saw. the crank has been reworked for better long term use . alot of early 575s including mine late 04 model had crank related failures. cylender ports / port timing updates to kname a couple . i cannot verify that to be a fact my dealers tech says so . i sold mine after the crank was fixed under warranty (7 week wait on crank ) and got my money out of it on ebay while it was really clean. i dont regret buying it id by another 576 xp if i needed however a 390 xp is filling that space at the moment with little weight gain over the 576 . they are supposed to have it all worked out . alot of cutters were handing there 372 s over the counter on trade to get into a new 575. the dealer was pushing the fuel saveings . and there ended up being alot of bad blood over the early versions of that saw in my area at least. i do know of a couple guys that have not had a lick of trouble with them also .

I'v got a 575xp but heard they were having all kinds of problems so I installed it on my lewis winch and it has never even touched wood. Should I put in wood or leave it alone. How much can I get for it you think on Ebay

varmit

Latest posts

Back