Small gas saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortlid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Would a Stihl 180 be a good investment for a small trim saw for a homeowner of a heavly wooded acre in New Hampshire? Our would one of the cheaper McColloch/Husky's do the job for me?:greenchainsaw:

the dolmar 401 and the redmax 3800avs are some of the best saws in that range.
IBHO better than the ms180

$250-$280 will buy you a pro-style built saw in either the 401, 420, or 3800. You cannot buy a saw built like these from Stihl or Husky unless you want to pay twice the price. The 420 will have the mose power, but is a little heavier. It earns its few extra ozs with it's performance though. It's way better built and way stronger than a 180 ever thought of being.

Everything everyone has said here is totally true. BUT the 180 would do the job if you have one available and you like the dealer. I have used a few of them and have had no problems. For what they are, they are strong running little saws.

Everything everyone has said here is totally true. BUT the 180 would do the job if you have one available and you like the dealer. I have used a few of them and have had no problems. For what they are, they are strong running little saws.

That is true for sure. But if you care about build quality and strength, there are MUCH better options out there.

Not so sure about the 401.

$250-$280 will buy you a pro-style built saw in either the 401, 420, or 3800. You cannot buy a saw built like these from Stihl or Husky unless you want to pay twice the price. The 420 will have the mose power, but is a little heavier. It earns its few extra ozs with it's performance though. It's way better built and way stronger than a 180 ever thought of being.

Brad I'll give you the fact the 420 might be a better built saw but I'm not seeing it in the 401. . . no mag body, no adjustable oiler, single bar mounting bolt, pretty similar to the 435. Hopefully whatever brand the OP buys he'll have a dealer get it for him.

Al:cheers:

Brad I'll give you the fact the 420 might be a better built saw but I'm not seeing it in the 401. . . no mag body, no adjustable oiler, single bar mounting bolt, pretty similar to the 435. Hopefully whatever brand the OP buys he'll have a dealer get it for him.

The 401 has a vertically split magnesium crankcase with a bolt on cylinder, just like all pro saws. An adjustable oiler can be added.

You seem to have a major beef with clamshells....

Quite simply, it's an inferior design. Why buy an inferior saw when you can get much better for the same money. I've beat this dead horse 100 times. I just don't understand why people would rather buy and inferior product. And the dealer support arguement is invalid for anyone that can work on their own saw. Parts are available from our sponsors here for both Redmax and Dolmar.

PS-341/401 are a 20 year old magnesium pro saw design. Much like all the old Sachs/Dolmar saws were. I don't know why you said "no mag body".
I presume one bolt was considered adequate for the length of bar the saw was intended for.
The stock oiler oils plenty, the only reason to pay $12 for the adjustable oiler would be to cut back on the oil.

That said, I think the MS-180 is a nice light saw that cuts well, sells for less than $200, can get a tuneup at any Stihl shop, and the casual user can just throw it away in 20 years when it wears out.

The best bang for the buck is probably a refurbed Ryobi 10532 for $100. I've got a 12" bar on mine. Takes a "double D" Homelite carb screwdriver, not the splined Husky/Poulan driver, and the carb is likely to be out of adjustment when you get it.

Last edited:
You know Brad you're right.

Quite simply, it's an inferior design. Why buy an inferior saw when you can get much better for the same money. I've beat this dead horse 100 times. I just don't understand why people would rather buy and inferior product. And the dealer support arguement is invalid for anyone that can work on their own saw. Parts are available from our sponsors here for both Redmax and Dolmar.

YOU'VE beat this to death. That's great - that's your opinion. But please allow others their opinion as well. The OP originally asked for opinions about inexpensive Husky models as a possible solution to his inquiry.

You know Brad - there are lots of reasons and criteria that come to play in choosing a saw, and yes quality of construction is just one (if one was to believe what you claim is a superior design). The Price, the way the saw feels in hand, the way it actually cuts - - - and I don't mean modded or ported but STOCK, and hell maybe the color turns someone on! Or the weight of the saw, or the anti vibe, or wether there are dealers in the area.

The OP has 1 acre to keep up - - - I sorta doubt he's gonna tear down his saw to work on it that OFTEN. HOWEVER I COULD BE WRONG ON THAT POINT. (See Brad that 's what it's like to give the benefit of the doubt) - - - you ought to try it sometime.

Back