Echo CS-670 - How does it compare?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeClimber57

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
One of my guys is telling me that the Echo 670 is a better saw that some of my Stihl's. Now seriously I doubt it, but wanted to ask some opinions.

How does it rate? Power, reliability, etc?

Can it compare with a 441, or is it more like the 390?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Cost is lower, but that is not the only factor to consider! (and Stihl has a nice $200 rebate on in Canada right now so.. )

It is a nice saw, just not the power-to-weight screamer saws that the more modern designs from Stihl and Husqvarna/Jonsered are. It is probably better than some Stihls, but definitely not better than others.

I know a few cutters in the U.P.that use the 670. they like the reliability, ruggedness, and price that the saw offers. These guys don't collect saws or even talk saws. To them, they are just a tool, to do a job. In our neck of the woods it is hard to find a shop that you can work with to get a fair price on let's say a 361 stihl. You would pay full price plus, set-up or evan an extra special order fee. So now that 361 is $150. more than the echo. that extra money saved pays for bills for the family. And the power difference is not much for the average guy. And the fit and quality of these saws are as good or better than a lot of the competition.

Last edited:
With the Stihl rebate in Canada, the 441 is only around $30-40 more than the 670. I am inclined to go with a 441, the one I know.. but always looking for advise from others as well.

I have worked on keeping them running for professional hardwood buckers and they are just as already stated, a tool that will perform better than just good for their money. Not quite as good as the more expensive Pro Stihls but better in my opinion than the non pro Stihl homeowner [ orange rear handle ] series of saws. The AV system is good but not quite as robust as a Pro Stihl so they won`t stand up to a lot of abuse like pulling them back out of a jamming situation for long. If they are used properly and not really abused they stand up to a lot of useage, a little heavier and slower than either the Stihl or Husqvarna of the same cc range.
Pioneerguy600

Way to go! I have both and love both and I think you will to. Post back after you run the 441 and give us your opinion.

Well put my first few tanks through this saw today (although it was raining - just had to do it). As expected, it just wants to go.. no stopping it. I will be using it at my brothers tomorrow to bring down some big willows - not much of a challenge for it - but he wants it done (and he is feeding us). I luv it.. I luv it.. I luv it..:clap:

Well put my first few tanks through this saw today (although it was raining - just had to do it). As expected, it just wants to go.. no stopping it. I will be using it at my brothers tomorrow to bring down some big willows - not much of a challenge for it - but he wants it done (and he is feeding us). I luv it.. I luv it.. I luv it..:clap:

Good for you! I used to turn my nose up at it every time I went to the dealer and then one time at husky demo days they had a 441 there to compare it to the 575 and 372 which was a big mistake. My dealer later told me that he thought it made several 441 sales for the stihl dealer. Anyways I ran the 441 and felt like a narrow minded idiot for not giving it a chance, long story short at the end of the day I walked away with the 441 with a couple hours on it for $500 simply because the dealer never wanted to see it again. He was even impressed with it and dropped the 575 from his inventory due to the fact it couldn't compete with stihl. It's amazing how much pulling power it has in hardwood with a big bar.

The 670 is a badass saw. It will outwork and outlast any non-pro Stihl and is easily as good as any pro Stihl.
You guys can believe that Stihl marketing BS if you want, but I choose to base my opinions from personal experience and real-world performance.

The 670 is a badass saw. It will outwork and outlast any non-pro Stihl and is easily as good as any pro Stihl.
You guys can believe that Stihl marketing BS if you want, but I choose to base my opinions from personal experience and real-world performance.

And I believe you! :)

Now I stick my neck out a bit here.. I think that Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo and Dolmar all make some decent saws and all compete. They all have loyal followers who swear by their saws - and a few that swear at them -- oh well.. We all can likely tell a good news story that we personally or know somebody who has had one for each brand .. and possibly some bad stories for each as well .. But that is what makes the world go around. I think the 670 is a good saw.. but a bit heavier. As with the rebate, the price point was virtually the same, so I went with the Stihl (which I already know well). (By the way I do have one Echo - 330T - it is a small saw - but it works its little butt off and keeps on going.

had one in my hand 2 weeks ago, brand new off the shelf.. balance was not up to par.. cant say much about the cutting , never had it in the woods,, cranked it up, and powered it up , it just felt different. :confused:

had one in my hand 2 weeks ago, brand new off the shelf.. balance was not up to par.. cant say much about the cutting , never had it in the woods,, cranked it up, and powered it up , it just felt different. :confused:

I ran one a couple times and wasn't to awfully impressed. I have no doubt that they last forever and are reliable but I just replaced my dads cs370 with a 211 and he is a lifelong cutter and the echo went on the shelf and hasn't started since. Echo makes some great landscaping eqipment ,probably the best out there and there saws have a market for the guy who wants a quality saw but doesn't wanna shell out a weeks pay to get it. But theres a reason you don't see to many pros running them, just like theres a reason you see 9 out of 10 landscapers using their trimmmers. It's not a knock on echo but it is what it is.

I ran one a couple times and wasn't to awfully impressed. I have no doubt that they last forever and are reliable but I just replaced my dads cs370 with a 211 and he is a lifelong cutter and the echo went on the shelf and hasn't started since. Echo makes some great landscaping eqipment ,probably the best out there and there saws have a market for the guy who wants a quality saw but doesn't wanna shell out a weeks pay to get it. But theres a reason you don't see to many pros running them, just like theres a reason you see 9 out of 10 landscapers using their trimmmers. It's not a knock on echo but it is what it is.

If you didn't pull the limiter caps and adjust the high richer and open up the clogged up muffler your not getting anywhere full power out of your dads CS370. Cut times on mine went from 15 seconds to 9 seconds, makes my MS 170 seem like a turd. Steve

If you didn't pull the limiter caps and adjust the high richer and open up the clogged up muffler your not getting anywhere full power out of your dads CS370. Cut times on mine went from 15 seconds to 9 seconds, makes my MS 170 seem like a turd. Steve

I have his manual here at my house and it refers to a non adjustable carb, could that be? If I remember right lookin at it one time thinking the same thing.

Latest posts

Back