028 Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
....finally got a used jug and awaiting the new slug to arrive for the 028 (44mm). First thing I'm planning on is to check the squish...mainly because I forgot to order a base gasket!! Any advice on building this saw a bit? Muff mod? openening up the ports a bit? I'm listening....
Thanks
Rich

Measure the squish with the new jug without gasket..018-.025" is good. Mark you piston thru the ports to show how wide you can go on the ports. Don't go too wide. What muffler do you have, newer side exit or older front exit? The side exit will benifit for a mod, pretty small opening. Both, have a "deflector box" on the rear half of the muffler that will benifit from cutting out or drilling holes in it. The 028's are good saws, but I never did any radical porting on one.

Measure the squish with the new jug without gasket..018-.025" is good. Mark you piston thru the ports to show how wide you can go on the ports. Don't go too wide. What muffler do you have, newer side exit or older front exit? The side exit will benifit for a mod, pretty small opening. Both, have a "deflector box" on the rear half of the muffler that will benifit from cutting out or drilling holes in it. The 028's are good saws, but I never did any radical porting on one.

How wide can you port? I heard general rule of thumb is about 70% of piston diameter??

028's are good saws. Porting one will not get you any huge gains. They were built before EPA became a big issue. Check with Jerry (pioneerguy600) and some of the other experienced modders. All the ones I've had have done great with a minor muff-mod. As albert stated "open" the muffler up a bit and drop the cylinder should be all that you need to do.

Back