031AV carb, rebuild or no?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singletrack100

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi to all and thanks in advance for tips, knowledge and advise shared with this. Several years back a neighbor gave me two saws free that he could not get running, a Mac 10-10 and Stihl 031AV electronic. I tooled around with both and got the Mac running with some carb asjustment anda little run time. Used it yesterday as a matter of fact and it ran flawlessly.

The 031 was a different story. A couple years back I determined it had a bad coil. It has sat since while I periodically watched the bay for a replacement, even contemplating buying a parts saw except none of them had spark either. Lo and behold last week I found and purchased a coil! Got it today, put it in, dribbled a bit of gas in the carb and in about 3-4 pulls she fired right up. It ran a few seconds an quit... okay, put some mix in the tank, dribbled more in the carb, same thing. I did this several times until I was sure it should be drawin from the tank by now. Each time it ran, it would idle and rev fine till it ran out.

The filter looked fine, as did the fuel line from tank to carb. I replaced the impulse line with a piece of vacuum tube of appropriate size after searching threads regarding substitute material, no difference. I replaced the line from tank to carb. No difference. I do not have a vacuum tester but did do a couple of redneck checks: lightly sucking on the fuel line did draw fuel from the tank, blowing into the new impulse line did not allow air passage (don't know if it should but common sense tells me it should not pass air through a diaphragm), blowing into the carb through fuel line did not pass air either.

I have not had the carb off nor the intake boot; I've held off pulling them so far thinking this may be a carb issue after so many years. I recently read where someone discovered a tiny screen in their carb that was gunked up; don't know if this saw would have one. The bit that the saw did run seemed like good operation, just not drawing fuel. Bad diaphragm?

Again, thanks in advance for suggestions. As noted, I do not have a vacuum tester nor a decent Stihl dealer, or anyone good with a saw I would trust closeby so this one's on me at this point.

Duane

Thanks guys. I was leaning that way myself along with thinking the intake boot might be okay based on how it did run with the gas I did get in it. If I find a boot while looking for a kit I'll replace it too while I'm there.

Rookie 1, I like your avatar; "Old School" is my call sign in the Army!

Latest posts

Back